Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super GI Joe question ??? (Late 70s figures)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brighteyes70s
    • Jul 21, 2007

Super GI Joe question ??? (Late 70s figures)

I was curious to know if there’s any Super GI Joe (Late 70s—sci-fi related ones—about the same size as Mego figures) collectors out there in Mego-land. And, if so, ever find repro hands and feet and manage to re-string these guys? (If even possible).
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

I had the figures as a kid, but don't collect them now. To my knowledge, there are no reproduction parts available for them, and restringing them seems all but impossible based on how they were put together.

Sorry I can't offer better news!
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

i like them and like joe has never fpound or heard of any repos. i tried restringing a couple a long time ago but found it impossible.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

yup had the same problem,I could'nt restring them at all,they were very poorly made(Cheap materials) and they break off to easily,you hardly ever find one in tact not even the carded ones,so good luck
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoGeek
          From The Black Lagoon
          • Jun 27, 2001

I collect the packaged ones. I got 2 nice carded ones from a fellow member, Super Joe Adventurer and Super Joe Commander, unfortunately the hands "exploded" during shipping.

I don't think the collector market on these is very big due to the fact there were so few different pieces produced because of that I'm not aware of anybody who does restoration/repros on the 8" Joes. Which sucks because I don't think I have ever seen a Shield, Luminos, or Darkon that was stil intact.
          ______
          ChArLiE

Comment

• marmes
            Megolomaniac
            • May 12, 2007

Joe at The GI Joe Medic restrings Super Joes

He's redone my Super Joe Commander and Darkons w Mego hands and they are perfect!!And he is really nice,too!

Comment

• JDeRouen
              Author of Small Things
              • Jun 14, 2001

Wow, I had no idea!

Originally posted by marmes

He's redone my Super Joe Commander and Darkons w Mego hands and they are perfect!!And he is really nice,too!
              --
              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• marmes
                Megolomaniac
                • May 12, 2007

Yeah...and when I say nice,check this out...
                I sent him 2 Darkons:one fresh off a card(who's joints and hands
                had disintegrated,of course)and another that was loose complete
                but a few of the leg and arm parts had been melted by a soldering iron
                or something.He sent them back to me within a week or two and had
                replaced the damaged pieces on the one w spare part pieces he had laying around..FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE,JUST BEING NICE!!I called to thank him again
                and he said"Oh yeah,I had those parts layin around,no problem"
                So yeah,he's a righteous dude!!Give him your business,y'all!
                M

Comment

• MegoGeek
                  From The Black Lagoon
                  • Jun 27, 2001

Originally posted by marmes

Sweet news Mike,

I have been to that site a few times but never saw anything about the 8" figs so I assumed he didn't do them.

Sadly the only 4 figs I have are carded.

Charlie
                  ______
                  ChArLiE

Comment

• marmes
                    Megolomaniac
                    • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by MegoGeek

Sweet news Mike,

I have been to that site a few times but never saw anything about the 8" figs so I assumed he didn't do them.

Sadly the only 4 figs I have are carded.

Charlie
                    Yeah,Charlie..
                    I have this weird thing with broken on card figures.
                    I get them with the intention of leaving them alone for collectabilty
                    but inevitably it will torture me then i'll crack and have open it up to fix it.
                    I did the same thing to a perfect 1977 carded Batman w a loose lower leg.
                    That's why I'm not allowed to have carded figures!
                    Last edited by marmes; Jul 22, '07, 2:09 PM. Reason: balls

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

That's good to know that someone can repair these. I really want to collect Super Joes, I think they are cool, but didn't know if I would be able to fix any broken ones that I ended up buying. I have the Terron, and want to get some Super Joes to go along with him.

Comment

• AAAAA
                        Permanent Member
                        • Oct 28, 2005

I restrung mine with a serises of cork screw doll springs and i casted hands from a mold I made from one that fell off a figure , but were otherwise in tack. back in the early 90's. If you ever come a cross THE SHIELD with Black hands.
                        Its not varation. I did it.
                        Last edited by AAAAA; Jul 22, '07, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• QDOGG
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 13, 2007

Don't know how much use this will be to you, they don't seem to update and their forum postings are a couple of months.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Yes, that site has some good info and pics of the line.

What the hell were the figures' hands made out of that made them disintegrate?? I can understand rubber bands, etc. deteriorating over time, but you almost never see hands with the broken figures. Why is that?

Comment

• brighteyes70s
                              • Jul 21, 2007

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! Also, as a side note, it seems as though the G.I. Joe doc uses repro Mego hands for the hands. Unfortunate since they won't look exactly the same as the originals. :( On the plus side, though, apparently the re-stringing doesn't affect the 1-2 punch action, and that apparently will still work, unless he misunderstood me when I asked him that question. As a side note, I could have swore that someone said those Space Academy figures from Aviva/Hasbro either used the same molds as the Super Joe figures or "something" to that effect. True or false? For the life of me I can't even remember what the original Super Joe hands looked like! Anyone have a close-up picture?

Brent

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎