X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Salvage 1

Salvage 1 was a quirky and enjoyable show from Have Bennet pre-Star Trek 2 -The Wrath of Khan. Andy Griffith was a junk dealer who wanted to go back to the moon and retrieve Apollo era equiptment and sell them to prospective buyers, ( pre-eBay). The show had a great cast, good stories, a whimsical theme and the ship, The Vulture, was no Enterprise but it lived up to its name. Sadly no plans for a DVD release have been announced.

Relive the show:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

And build the paper model:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
  • Airdave817
    Satellite Monitor Duty
    • May 31, 2007

Yeah, I remember Salvage 1. It was a pretty cool concept. Kinda like the new Astronaut Farmer. Haven't seen that one, though. I think I watched every episode of Salvage 1, right up until the end. What was really on in 1979. Not a whole lot. I think that was one of the in-between years, when one really cool series had ended and a few before the next cool one started. Didn't The Greatest American Hero start in January of 1980? Was Salvage 1 on ABC or NBC?
    Shameless self-promotion -
    Earth-Dave
    KROC-FM
    Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

I remember that show, especially the Vulture (and Andy Griffith's new teeth ).

That link you gave is a really cool site. Lots of info on the show. I forgot the guy who played the Dad in Silver Spoons was in the show.

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Salvage 1 was on ABC and like many potentially great tv series they ran it into the ground. I think there was a final 2-parter where tehy were trying to steer an iceberg to a part of the USA where water was scarce. I don't recall how it ended.

ABC has had so many break-out hit shows, ( Battlestar Galactica, Salvage 1, Greatest American Hero, Twin Peaks, Sledge Hammer!, Max Headroom to name a few), not all SciFi, and they killed them all with their stupidity.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I thought I was the only person who remembered this show. Dunno if I'd call it GOOD; but it was unique. I loved it when it was on, but I was like, six. I'd be tempted to watch it again though.

I remember building a model rocket of the Vulture, which blew up shortly after takeoff. (FUN FACT: Them top mounted retro rockets are NOT aerodynamic....)

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Some interesting short lived shows came around that time, things like Man Called Sloane, Cliffhangers, Quark, Man from Atlantis etc.

They all made for interesting playground talk but seemed to be gone in a flicker. Love to see them all again.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Yup I remember this one...very short-lived.

Man Called Sloane was with Robert Conrad, right? I seem to remember watching that one on Friday nights. Cliffhangers was another one I enjoyed...I was a fan of the Curse of Dracula moreso than the other two
              (Secret Empire and Stop Susan Williams).
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah Conrad was Sloane although Robert Logan played him in the pilot (which aired after the show was cancelled) Sloane's partner was Torque an agent with a mechanical hand.

I'd pay huge for this and cliffhangers on DVD.....
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• David Lee
                  The Fix-it-up Chappie
                  • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Yeah Conrad was Sloane although Robert Logan played him in the pilot (which aired after the show was cancelled) Sloane's partner was Torque an agent with a mechanical hand.

I'd pay huge for this and cliffhangers on DVD.....
                  Two of my all-time faves! I too would kill for these on DVD!

oh and to add to the thread... Salvage one? "Mmmm Good Cracker"

-Dave

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

I loved watching it when it was on, don't remember too much about it. Also, this is the first time I ever saw Andy Griffith. And when I became aware of the Andy Griffith show, for the longest time, he was "That guy from Salvage 1"

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎