X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Earth 3: The Jokester!

This one seems like a no-brainer to me. The Jokester is the arch-enemy of Owlman. I often wonder why there wasn't a more wide-spread creation of Mirror versions of the DCU characters in the per-CoIE DCU. It's only recently that we have seen Robin's doppleganger Talon for example.

I've always had a fondness for the Earth 3 characters, particularly when Grant Morrison pulls them out in the pages of Animal Man or his JLA Earth 2 graphic novel.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
    This one seems like a no-brainer to me. The Jokester is the arch-enemy of Owlman. I often wonder why there wasn't a more wide-spread creation of Mirror versions of the DCU characters in the per-CoIE DCU. It's only recently that we have seen Robin's doppleganger Talon for example.

I think it's because, for the most part, the Earth 3 characters weren't used a whole heckuva lot prior to the original COIE. I think only had a handful of appearances before the "red skies" came to their universe (original JLA issues, SSOSV issues [not all of the members] and the cross-over with JLA/JSA/All-Star Squadron [yes I didn't abbreviate that last one on purpose]).
    After the Crisis, they were probably off limits, all things considering until they appeared in JLQuarterly I think and from that point on it seemed they were being reinvented upon every re-appearance...the Morrison Earth-2 and the Busiek JLA arc.
    I personally like just the original 5 of the Crime Syndicate and don't want to see any new additions...but that's just me, old-school!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Not only that,I thought it was said in the original Crisis,that Lex Luthor was Earth 3's only hero. I was under the impression that if there were heroic versions of villians floating around Earth 3,The Crime Syndicate got rid of them long ago.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

You mean "The Tricker" isn't running around Earth 3 these days?
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by jwyblejr
          Not only that,I thought it was said in the original Crisis,that Lex Luthor was Earth 3's only hero. I was under the impression that if there were heroic versions of villians floating around Earth 3,The Crime Syndicate got rid of them long ago.

Yeah before E3 Lex showed up in DC Comics Presents Annual #1, it was stated in I think the Crime Syndiacte's 1st appearance that they had no one to fight on their planet and got bored and made the journey to the Earth 1 and 2 universes...

Comment

• Airdave817
            Satellite Monitor Duty
            • May 31, 2007

I'll second that. I think if memory serves me, the Mirror concept of Earth-3 was that Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and green lantern were bad and they only fought the JLA and JSA. There were no heroes on Earth-3 until Luthor.

I think the Crime Syndicate was imprisoned in a dimensional bubble by Dr. Fate and the Green lanterns with warnings in all languages, until they were freed for the JLA/JSA/All-Star Squadron team up. At least, I think that's how it was.

Then there was the COIE and they were gone.

Until Grant Morrison brought them back with the Earth-Two Hardcover.

I always liked the Mirror, Mirror episode of Classic Star Trek. I guess there were versions in Next Generation and DS9. I remember seeing a pretty cool episode of DS9 that was a Mirror episode. Spock had gone on to conquer the Federation, I think.
            Shameless self-promotion -
            Earth-Dave
            KROC-FM
            Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
            "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My favorite episode of Super Friends is Universe of Evil. It features an other dimensional world where the SF analogs are the Super Enemies, they are headquartered in the Hall of Evil, and their Superman even exclaims "Great Satan!" I kid you not.

That being said...I don't know about the Jokester. I love the old parallel worlds but these new ones are so close, but not quite the originals. It's kind of off-putting in a way. Just give us the old ones, not reasonable facsimiles. Hopefully I'll change my mind when I read it.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Airdave817
                I'll second that. I think if memory serves me, the Mirror concept of Earth-3 was that Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and green lantern were bad and they only fought the JLA and JSA. There were no heroes on Earth-3 until Luthor.

I think the Crime Syndicate was imprisoned in a dimensional bubble by Dr. Fate and the Green lanterns with warnings in all languages, until they were freed for the JLA/JSA/All-Star Squadron team up. At least, I think that's how it was.

Then there was the COIE and they were gone.
                In between their first appearance in JLA and the cross-over with the JSA and All-Star Squadron, Power Ring, Johnny Quick and Super Woman escaped from the bubble and appeared in Secret Society of Super-Villains where they fought Captain Comet.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I love the old parallel worlds but these new ones are so close, but not quite the originals. It's kind of off-putting in a way. Just give us the old ones, not reasonable facsimiles. Hopefully I'll change my mind when I read it.
                Agreed! DC should stop F'in around and give us EARTH-2, EARTH-X, EARTH-S etc. and not reasonable facismiles like the new Earth-2, Earth-10 and Earth-5. I hope this is all part of a long term plan to bring us back the real deals at the end of Final Crisis next year but I somehow doubt it.
                Last edited by The Toyroom; Jul 20, '07, 5:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎