X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

How's JLA?

I like Metzer and love a good JLA book, but I don't want to read a book that's tangled in the countdown mess. Does this book stand on it's own or does it rely on the rest of the DCU? Is it any good? Did Metzer's run start at #1?

I'd like a few DC books, but I don't want a book that's controlled or interupted by whatever event DC's currently running. I know a lot of people like Smith's Captain Marvel book, but not knowing much history of the character it lost me.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I tried the first issue, and absolutely nothing happened, I gave up after that.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Meltzer is good at character bits, but his pacing is way off and far too drawn out for my tastes. I haven't read much of the JLA/JSA Lightning Saga (I'm waiting for all the parts to come via the mail) but the first story arc was way too decompressed. In the 70s, this would have maybe have rated a two-parter.

The bad part is, he took 7 issues to set up HIS JLA. Then a crossover came in, and he only had one or two issues left before he's off the book. Kind of seems...pointless.

I'm looking forward to Dwayne McDuffie. He worked wonders on JLU.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll pass. Now that I think about it, I think I bought the first issue. Just shows how memorable it was.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Airdave817
          Satellite Monitor Duty
          • May 31, 2007

I read the Tornado story-line. Give me the Magnificent Seven any day and twice on Sunday. I just like that line-up. Although I do like this new line-up that includes Black Lightning. I just don't care for the name Red Arrow. As if Arsenal was such a bad name that it had to be changed. Why not Crimson Arrow? Nice nod to The Crimson Avenger. You know somebody is going to call him either Roy, Speedy, Arsenal or Kid. What was that phrase that Killowog used with Hal Jordan, "poozer", like "rookie" or "newbie".

I read The Tenth Justice, and I thought it was okay. I tried reading the one after that, but put it down.

Is Batman leaving the League to lead The Outsiders again? Is it 1982 all over again? We have a multiverse back, Batman and The Outsiders, and Ralph Dibney's career is deader than a doornail.
          Shameless self-promotion -
          Earth-Dave
          KROC-FM
          Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
          "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

According to BATO writer Tony Bedard, Batman is going to be on both teams.

So much for being a loner!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

If you can, avoid Meltzer's set of the JLA and skip to the JSA/LSH cross-over...it's faster paced (thinks to some of the parts of the story being in Geoff Johns' JSA) and reads more like a JLA story. HOWEVER, it too is a lot of set-up with no end pay-off other than the return of Wally West as The Flash and Karate Kid trapped in the 21st Century (shades of the 70s!). I'm still not sure what exactly happened by the last issue of the cross-over but apparently there's more to come later on in the year.
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

BOY....Issue #11 is the worst Meltzer issue so far. Red Arrow and Vixen traped underground for the whole issue, horrible art by Gene Ha, and all we learn is Vixen hasn't been tapping the powers of animals recently...instead she's been swipping the abilities of her fellow JLA members.

Ooooohhh....exciting reveal there Brad! Get this guy OFF the book and bring some action back to this title ASAP before it tanks entirely. I hope McDuffie has some cool stuff up his sleeve.
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎