X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StrangeVisitor
    Career Member
    • May 13, 2007

Alex Ross' new series Superpowers

Has anyone seen this? Alex Ross' upcoming series Superpowers will be using a lot of Golden Age characters like the Black Terror, the Leav Gleason version of Daredevil (here called 'Devil),& the Green Lama among others. A little before my time but I always like to see the GA charcters gets brought back in new stories (or even homages like Terra Obscura by America's Best Comics).

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=121397
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Looks interesting! I've been thinking about quite a few of these old GA guys lately as a matter of fact...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Looks right up his Alley...I'm a Huge Golden Age fan so I can't wait!

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

I hope this project doesn't get bogged down with tons of confusion like "Justice" had a tendency to do....

I wonder who the public domain villains are for this?

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

looks interesting, I just hope it has better pacing than Justice. AC Comics is going to be mad, like they were when Alan Moore used a bunch of those characters in Tom Strong.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

wonder who the public domain villains are for this?
            There's the Claw to the left of Green Lama.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• brineb
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              looks interesting, I just hope it has better pacing than Justice. AC Comics is going to be mad, like they were when Alan Moore used a bunch of those characters in Tom Strong.
              That's the first thing I thought. I have my comic shop order every AC title for me, it does get confusing to people to have different companies using the same characters. Having said that, I am looking forward to Ross' take on them.
              I also play with other dolls:
              http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by brineb
                That's the first thing I thought. I have my comic shop order every AC title for me, it does get confusing to people to have different companies using the same characters. Having said that, I am looking forward to Ross' take on them.
                Alex Ross could make Foilman look beautiful. I have been out of the details of comics for the most part - how is it that other companies besides AC can use the characters? Did they lapse into public domain, and that's how AC got them in this first place?

Comment

• Sandlantern
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jul 7, 2005

I'm looking forward to this! Should be interesting what comes out...

Comment

• Cosmicman
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    I hope this project doesn't get bogged down with tons of confusion like "Justice" had a tendency to do....

I wonder who the public domain villains are for this?
                    OMG! That Justice book lost my interest after issue number 8. It had a really good start and the art seemed to be ok. Too bad it went to suckville so fast. I had high hopes for that book.
                    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Airdave817
                      Satellite Monitor Duty
                      • May 31, 2007

There were a couple of things (to start) with Justice that I'm still scratching my head over. Including nearly every Silver Age hero possible - where was Deadman, Captain Comet, or Adam Strange? If it had just focused on the League, that would have been fine, gut including the Metal Men, the Doom Patrol, the Teen Titans, and all of the League supporting characters was just a little overwhelming.

Unless of course there is a Justice Teen Titans figure set. Then I'm okay with the whole story.

And what was that the Joker was doing over the last couple of issues, and what did it have to do with anything?
                      Shameless self-promotion -
                      Earth-Dave
                      KROC-FM
                      Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                      "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

^ Yeah me too...I stuck with it through the whole thing but it ended up being a gigantic mess by the end...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Unless of course there is a Justice Teen Titans figure set. Then I'm okay with the whole story.
                          Amen! We need a 6" Teen Wonder Robin!

I haven't got issue #12 in yet, but I'm guessing I'll be scratching my head too. I'm thinking in the end Justice will be a print comic version of all of these fan-made comic movies. Fanfic with some great visuals.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                            Looks right up his Alley...I'm a Huge Golden Age fan so I can't wait!

I recognize the characters like American Crusader, Miss Masque, Pyroman, Black Terror etc that appeared in the ABC Terra Obscura comics, and the newsarama article identified Fox Feature's Samson and The Green Lama I know is from pulps and radio.

Who is the Fire-guy to the left and the Blue Moth looking guy (kind of looks like the offspring of The Tick and his sidekick Arthur!).

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            I'm just curious where AC Comics expressed that the were mad that Alan Moore used these characters in his ABC line.

It seems rather ridiculous given the fact that they nicked them from the Public Domain as well. It would be like Disney being upset that Fables is using Pinoccio, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, etc.

I think this really does make for an interesting landscape with the wide use of Public Domain Superheroes. Black Terror was used by Eclipse in the post-Dark Knight eighties, and Alan Moore had such a unique take on the character in Terra Obscura. It looks like Ross and co are going for a different take on BT than the other two.
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 19, '07, 2:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ZICA
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2006

I'm a huge fan of Alex Ross but looking at the artwork I'm starting to notice that most of his male characters have a similar facial structure. For example, the guy in flames looks like Superman from Justice, only in a different costume.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎