Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever collect "The Human Fly"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Did anyone ever collect "The Human Fly"?

I know this isn't a respected title and it only made it to 19 issues, but this was the first title that I ever had a first issue of. I bought it new from the rack and collected most of the monthlies. Sadly, the collection didn't make a move we made when I was a kid and I never replaced them.

Last Saturday, I went to a Comics Shop I like and they had moved some boxes out of the back. I found the entire run of "The Human Fly" and they were all in great shape. I picked them all out and the owner looked at the lot and said, "How about $15?". Deal.

I kind of sheepishly said, "I realize this isn't a respected Comic, but it meant a lot to me as a kid and I'm happy to add the entire run to my collection."

The owner sagely said, "It doesn't have to be a good title to bring back memories." (The owner is waaaay younger than me and wasn't even born during the Bronze Age, yet he gets it.)

Anyway, did anyone else appreciate the cheesy goodness of this title? I'm reading through them now and the issues are sooo bad they are good. The art is obviously Marvel (and good ole Bronze Age Marvel) and the stories are preachy beyond all get out, but I love them.
  • BENDY
    Career Member
    • Jan 28, 2003

FLY

Yes, I Still Have My Fly Comics. I Wanted To Be Him. Thanks For The Reminder

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

yep, sure did. That and Godzilla were two of the first comics I bought regularly.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Saildog, there was a article about the Human Fly series in BackIssue #21 a few months back.

Oh and don't feel bad about loving a somewhat unloved comic or series. I recently read a quote from DC publisher Paul Levitz. To paraphrase; "Every comic was either someone's first, or their favorite."

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• brineb
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 26, 2006

I know I have the first few issues ... not sure how long I collected it. I used to buy everything and anything as a kid!
          I also play with other dolls:
          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• saildog
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            Saildog, there was a article about the Human Fly series in BackIssue #21 a few months back.

Oh and don't feel bad about loving a somewhat unloved comic or series. I recently read a quote from DC publisher Paul Levitz. To paraphrase; "Every comic was either someone's first, or their favorite."

Chris
            Thanks for the heads up on the article, Chris! I'll see if I can find a link or a back issue.

Glad to see some others who bought the book as kids and have some appreciation for it (or at least remember it existed). I thought the guy gave me a smokin' deal for the entire run, especially since they are in such great shape. I have no idea how to grade a comic or even guess at what they might be, but except for ever so slight yellowing of the pages, these things look brand new. I couldn't believe the dude sold them to me for less than a dollar an issue, so I kind of got the feeling it wasn't a well loved (or in demand) title. I've seen beat to hell copies of Marvel Team-Up in that shop for no less than $3 an issue, so I was really surprised to see these for so cheap.

Buk, in answer to your question: Yes, supposedly he was based on Stuntman Rick Rojatt who actually wore a costume similar to his comic counterpart and had a similar backstory. Apparently, some of the stunts in the comics were based on stuff he really did (more exaggerated in the stories, but based in truth).

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by saildog
              Thanks for the heads up on the article, Chris! I'll see if I can find a link or a back issue.

Buk, in answer to your question: Yes, supposedly he was based on Stuntman Rick Rojatt who actually wore a costume similar to his comic counterpart and had a similar backstory. Apparently, some of the stunts in the comics were based on stuff he really did (more exaggerated in the stories, but based in truth).
              http://www.the-rocketman.com/human-fly.html
              What a fun article. It's too bad the heyday of the Daredevil Stunt Man seems to be a thing of the past given parents concerns for kids emulating them and CGI now being able to create realistic simulations.

I was going to ask why this character hasn't shown up since the seventies, but given the fact that he's licensed off of a real person, I guess that answers that question.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 20, '07, 9:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• saildog
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 9, 2006

Okay...not sure what's going on here. Don't know if it is a revival of the character or if he is going to make and appearance in a comic at some point, but someone has re-designed the character. (The article doesn't seem to say much except the character has been redesigned). Can't find any more info, but this article was written and posted within the last ten days.

Edited to add: This was drawn for a Website called "Project Rooftop".

From the site:
                Project Rooftop is where cartoonists and illustrators bring their costume design skills to task in tribute to the superheroes and villains we’ve grown up with. This site is intended to promote excellence in costume design as well as foster continued interest for these amazing characters.

The artist submitted The Human Fly because it was his Father-In-Law's favourite childhood comics. (Good Grief, are people in my age range really old enough to have married children?)
                Last edited by saildog; Jul 20, '07, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Airdave817
                  Satellite Monitor Duty
                  • May 31, 2007

I know I had either the first or second issue of The Human Fly. I think I traded it. It was pretty cool. Wasn't the art by Irv Novick or somebody - the same guy that did The Invaders I think. I read the article in Back Issue. Very mysterious.
                  Shameless self-promotion -
                  Earth-Dave
                  KROC-FM
                  Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                  "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Thanks for that Project Rooftop link, very cool site.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

I've picked up a couple of these back issues myself in the $1.00 bin recently...interesting stuff.
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎