X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YANOULI
    Part-Time Timelord
    • Jan 9, 2006

Casting an enlarged head

I have a question regarding the best way to make an enlarged head and keep the features.

Take my Rose Tyler custom for example, the head was twice mego size before the features came out so i let it shrink back again until it was the right size but, is the best way to:

A: let it shrink back down again ( losing some definition of the features ) or,

B: mould the enlarged head, with full features, then use Hydrospan 400 to reduce it?

I notice that when i shrink heads down to Mego size the features stay better defined.

What do you guys usually do?
    Last edited by YANOULI; Jul 16, '07, 5:12 PM.
    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "
  • Customslab

it has nothing to do about loseing anything its how they start out. what passes at 6" or any other size will not look as defined in mego scale alot of times a head just isn't a good head for shrinking or enlargeing due to how they look in their true scale when you shrink or enlarge you neather lose or gain in the detail . their are some sculpts that will not look good once you blow up or shrink them due to their not a well sculpted head to start with some are over sculpted some are under sculpted but they can pull it off in that scale alot if times due to good paint jobs

Comment

• YANOULI
      Part-Time Timelord
      • Jan 9, 2006

the 5" sculpts and these enlarged heads are a good likeness but compare this to the custom i posted, you can see it isn't as good.

here the Eccleston head looks pretty good, but my actual Mego scale casting is only passable at best
      Last edited by YANOULI; Jul 17, '07, 8:48 AM.

Comment

• Customslab

you'll learn what will blow up nice and what want just because something looks good at 5" figure doesn't mean that it will look good at 8 it the sculpt not the process

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 28, 2006

Hey, who is the head all the way on the left of? Do you have resin copies of that one?

Comment

• YANOULI
            Part-Time Timelord
            • Jan 9, 2006

The one with the crew cut and big nose? That's Christopher Eccleston.

I don't have a finished casting yet, i have to tidy it up and add a neck plug.
            Last edited by YANOULI; Jul 20, '07, 5:15 PM.

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 28, 2006

OH man, please PM me when you have that one available! I'd love to either buy or trade you that one please He's going to be perfect for my Major Henry West!

Comment

• YANOULI
                Part-Time Timelord
                • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by Blackkryptonite
                OH man, please PM me when you have that one available! I'd love to either buy or trade you that one please He's going to be perfect for my Major Henry West!
                Ok, will do.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If you're feeling a little ambitious you can use the enlarged one as the base, and model new features over it. This'll give you a startpoint, with locations and basic shapes already mapped out. I use this trick with a lot of my own stuff; most of my heads are actually Action Jackson heads with the features filed off. (I keep failed castings for stuff like this.)

My ghoul is actually one of my orcs with the features filed down; and the orc used to be an AJ cast. (Epoxy putty is expensive and hard to get around here....)

Don C.

Comment

• YANOULI
                    Part-Time Timelord
                    • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                    Hmmmm....

If you're feeling a little ambitious you can use the enlarged one as the base, and model new features over it. This'll give you a startpoint, with locations and basic shapes already mapped out. I use this trick with a lot of my own stuff; most of my heads are actually Action Jackson heads with the features filed off. (I keep failed castings for stuff like this.)

My ghoul is actually one of my orcs with the features filed down; and the orc used to be an AJ cast. (Epoxy putty is expensive and hard to get around here....)

Don C.
                    it's a good idea but i'm not really any good at sculpting. It'd probably end up worse than it is now

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎