X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Mark Huckabone on "G4"

G4 was doing a special on the upcoming San Diego Comicon, and several toy and comic dealers were interviewed. I don't know if Mark's actually going to be at the Con or not, but Blair Butler did a short segment on him. Needless to say, I was drooling when they panned across the Megos he had on display, and all but cried when he quoted prices. Is Mark a member here? Does anyone know if he's going to have a table in San Diego?
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

I saw that, too. His $550 for a French carded Batman made me giggle.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I don't think Mark is a member here, but many on the board know him. He has whay may be the most impressive Mego collection in existence. He tends to ask a lot for what he has, but my understanding is that he is an honest and pretty decent guy.

I've only met him a few times and he was always very nice. A couple years back at a show, he handed me one of the rare GAH 8" figures to look at and then he walked away. I was standing there holding this incredible figure wandering where this guy went. He came back a minute later, but it was a tempting minute

He was at NYC's big Con, so I imagine he would make the much easier trip to San Diego.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I met and bought some piddley stuff from Mark back in '92-ish.

I think it was at Atlantique City.

He seemed like a really cool guy, but he had Mego GROUPIES constantly bugging him--- almost like a Mego rock-star

I almost had to take a number like I was at the Deli

Funny experience, but not bad

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

There was a feeding frenzy around Huckabone at the 88 Megocon. But, pickings were slim until he showed up. Got a Batgirl cowl off of him.

This isn't Huckabones' first brush with fame. It's been brought up here before, but for those who don't know, Huckabone was Alex Ross" model for Johnny Storm in Marvels.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              There was a feeding frenzy around Huckabone at the 88 Megocon. But, pickings were slim until he showed up. Got a Batgirl cowl off of him.

This isn't Huckabones' first brush with fame. It's been brought up here before, but for those who don't know, Huckabone was Alex Ross" model for Johnny Storm in Marvels.

Chris
              How interesting, I didn't know that. Indeed, he's listed as Mark HuckLEbone in my Marvels TPB.

Mark's the best, and if anyone can get $550 for a French Batman, he can.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Evel KMego
                Museum Daredevil
                • Apr 26, 2006

I've bought quite a bit from Mark at Kane County, Wizard World Con, and MegoMeet '06. If you want quality MIP he's the man to see, but he is a little pricey. I've never been disappointed with any transactions though. He does have almost a "rockstar vibe" around him at shows, hey, when your the man, your the man! I like him, I just wish he was a little more accessible! Gotta check out this G4 show.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                  I met and bought some piddley stuff from Mark back in '92-ish.

I think it was at Atlantique City.

He seemed like a really cool guy, but he had Mego GROUPIES constantly bugging him--- almost like a Mego rock-star

I almost had to take a number like I was at the Deli

Funny experience, but not bad

I first met Mark at a toy show in Orlando back in 1991 (I was already aware of him at that point due to reading many of his Toy Shop ads). Maybe it was the show, or Megos hadn't really gotten "big" yet, but I seemed to be the only one with serious interest in his table (at least for the amount of time I was at the show). But that meant I had plenty of time to talk to him (he seemed happy to finally be able to talk Megos with someone that day ). He seemed like a pretty cool guy, I walked away with a positive impression of him (and a bag of cool toys. His table was by far the highlight of that show for me).

Comment

• LOU
                    Museum FIN-atic
                    • Nov 20, 2003

Huckabone was Alex Ross" model for Johnny Storm in Marvels
                    WOW Earth 2, I never knew this! What a cool piece of trivia. Thanks for letting us know this...how cool is that??!

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

if doing something on mego . huckabone should be part of it as his collection in my opinion is the most extensive around.

Comment

• AcroRay
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 17, 2005

Mark's prices are pretty nuts, but I get the impression that he uses the revenue to score other amazingly rare stuff, lost case lots, prototypes, etc. So his hobby supports itself, I think.
                        Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                        AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                        The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                        Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• dumbldor
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 9, 2002

Originally posted by batmanmc
                          if doing something on mego . huckabone should be part of it as his collection in my opinion is the most extensive around.

Just a few quick responses.

Mike, Mark does have by far the most extensive collection around, but with the collective effort of the community, some great things related to Mego can be done without Mark's help. This website, for example, and World's Greatest Toys, for another. I am not aware of his help with either of these endeavors. I wish he was more active in the online community, but he has other priorities.

Ray, Mark supports himself 100% as a toy dealer, Mego and otherwise. He has other goals and amibitions in life, but his job is 'toy dealer' for now.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎