Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brighteyes70s
    • Jul 21, 2007

Pocket Heroes--do they swivel?

Not having any pocket heroes yet, I was wondering about the small slit between the torso and the bottom portion that you see clearly in some of the pictures. Is that just where the pieces were put together, or do these guys have swiveling torsos? Curious.
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Yep, they swivel.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• brighteyes70s
      • Jul 21, 2007

You know, I'm actually glad I asked that question, because I just recently received my first Pocket Heroes, which is an Aquaman. I tried to swivel him and, although it looks like right above his belt he has a groove, for the life of me I can't get his upper body to turn independently from the lower section, and I don't want to force it anymore because I don't want to "snap" him in half or anything. Could it be that later versions of these didn't swivel, or that time has somehow melted some plastic connecting pieces in place inside and that's why he no longer swivels? Curious. He is as minty as minty can be and even his arms and head were really tight when moved, so I know he hadn't been played with. However, not being able to move at the waist has me wondering now what's going on....help?

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Pocket heroes are a bit of mixed bag when it comes to that.

The first wave are just remodified Comic Action Heroes and all of them swivel.

The Zod, Luthor and Jorel in that wave do not.

When the other heroes came in, Aquaman seems to have the swivel (although I would be afraid to snap him in half) but Goblin, Wonder Woman and Cap appear to be a solid piece. I don't know why that is.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Drain
          megos are yummy
          • Jun 10, 2007

I just dug my PH Aquaman out and he don't swivel, Mego done funny changes look at the Dukes of Hazzard 3.75. You have 2 different body types, one piece and the Buck Roger Style.
          Mego Nudists Fish Nude Show Off your Rod.

Comment

• brighteyes70s
            • Jul 21, 2007

Drain,

Thanks for chiming in! It's good to see that mine just isn't defective.
            Perhaps it's less of a "character release" issue concerning swivel/non-swiveling as opposed to a wave release since we've now found 2 Aquaman figures that don't swivel? I'm wondering if later productions of the earlier produced figures also have the non-moving waists.

Brent

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
              Time to feed the cat
              • Dec 30, 2007

Makes you wonder what they could've done with the star wars line.I know its always talked about,but would Mego have cheaped out on them.Kenner took toys up a level when them made them.Mego probably would have had the same body for 7 or8 differnt heads. I know this thread was about pocket heros,but hey they're the same size right,sorry I just wander sometimes.

Comment

• Drain
                megos are yummy
                • Jun 10, 2007

It seem that all the PH with the CA right arm, swivel at the hips. I don't know if the 3.75 Chips bad guys; Wheels Willy & Jimmy Squeaks and the Dukes of hazards' Rosco do.

Comment

• brighteyes70s
                  • Jul 21, 2007

Drain, it seems as though Palitoy has or has at least come across a swiveling Aquaman. Palitoy, does that one have a CA arm? Curious. If so, then I guess Drain's theory would be right--Curved arms, swivel....straight arms, non-swivel.

As for Star Wars, I think in that regard Kenner didn't do things properly, either. Although they stand quite well, their arm and leg motion kind of stinks. I think Mego was headed the right direction with the arms of the Time Traveler and Pharoid, etc., etc. figure types from their Micronauts line. Where they could basically do a YMCA "Y" or even put them completely out side-to-side if need be due to that special pivot piece where their arms connect to their torso. I've always wondered why they didn't use that same kind of motion capability with their CAH's or PH's.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Drain, it seems as though Palitoy has or has at least come across a swiveling Aquaman. Palitoy, does that one have a CA arm? Curious. If so, then I guess Drain's theory would be right--Curved arms, swivel....straight arms, non-swivel.
                    No that didn't happen, Aquaman was always a straight arm. They did correct Spider-Man for the white card release (resulting in a variant) but both swivel. Thomas is right in that any hero recycled from CAH has a swivel.

My loose Aquaman and carded Aquaman both have a movable torso and separate belt piece, while the others in the series do not. Perhaps the raised "A" presented some sort of manfacturing challenge which resulted in him not having a one piece torso.

Comment

• brighteyes70s
                      • Jul 21, 2007

Palitoy,

Thanks for the info. Hmmm....well, both myself and Drain have a non-swivel Aquaman, so I'm guessing it was just a later manufacturing revision. Perhaps once Goblin, WW, and Cap came out they decided to go with a non-swivel body for any later releases. That reminds me--so Aquaman wasn't in the second series of PH's? I thought he was....(Going by the Megomuseum info.) I know mine has a 1980 date on his back--not sure if that means anything or not...

Brent

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by brighteyes70s
                        Palitoy,

Thanks for the info. Hmmm....well, both myself and Drain have a non-swivel Aquaman, so I'm guessing it was just a later manufacturing revision. Perhaps once Goblin, WW, and Cap came out they decided to go with a non-swivel body for any later releases.

Can I please see a picture of either of yours? I'd really like evidence of a solid torso for the museum. When I say swivel, it barely moves but it's clearly two pieces.

That reminds me--so Aquaman wasn't in the second series of PH's? I thought he was....(Going by the Megomuseum info.) I know mine has a 1980 date on his back--not sure if that means anything or not...
                        No he absolutely was, I'm not suggesting he wasn't. He came with the 2nd wave of figures and he bears the same sculpts. He was just manufactured slightly differently than the others.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I took some photos because I'm guessing we're all talking about the same figure:

Comment

• Drain
                            megos are yummy
                            • Jun 10, 2007

Brian, I just rechecked mine and it looks like yours, but the torso will not swivel but is locked in place.
                            Thomas

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by brighteyes70s
                              You know, I'm actually glad I asked that question, because I just recently received my first Pocket Heroes, which is an Aquaman. I tried to swivel him and, although it looks like right above his belt he has a groove, for the life of me I can't get his upper body to turn independently from the lower section, and I don't want to force it anymore because I don't want to "snap" him in half or anything. Could it be that later versions of these didn't swivel, or that time has somehow melted some plastic connecting pieces in place inside and that's why he no longer swivels? Curious. He is as minty as minty can be and even his arms and head were really tight when moved, so I know he hadn't been played with. However, not being able to move at the waist has me wondering now what's going on....help?
                              There is an issue with different tupes of plastic where over time 2 pieces can "melt" together (which the aquamn belt could well have done) resulting in an unmovable torso or it possible in the figure's life he broke and was superglued together (as a kid I broke a couple PH robins and if you glue the belt to the waist to the and the torso it becomes 1 solid potion with no clue mark

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎