X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AcroRay
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 17, 2005

Micronauts Aliens' creator passes away

I just learned quite sadly that Stephen Lee - creator of the Micronauts Aliens figures, Hornetroid and Terraphant - passed away 3 months ago.

Stephen Lee was a wonderful man to talk with - full of ideas and stories, who loved his profession and was very proud of his creations.

In addition to those Micronauts toys, he also designed many of the Aliens and Predator play sets from Galoob's Micro Machines line (including the amazing, canceled-at-the-last-minute Mining Station set), many of the original, earliest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles accessories and vehicles (including the Sewer Speed Boat, Pizza Cannon, Sewer environment play set), and at least a couple of the latter Exo-Squad toys (Maggie's Field Repair frame, and the Amphibious Assault frame). I also learned he was heavily involved in Matchbox's PARASITES robotic car line, and he had a large portfolio of other work from the mid-70's to the present.

In addition to sharing his recollections and his artwork from his Micronauts work, Mr. Lee also signed cards from the Hero Factory Micronauts trading card set that featured his work. He was very happy and surprised that his work was known well enough to be asked to do it, and considered the opportunity an honor.

Farewell, Robert Stephen Lee. I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to learn so much Micronaut toy history from him that might otherwise have been lost, and that so many toys I have enjoyed and admired came from his fertile imagination.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here's an example of his Micronaut work - the original concept art for Repto and Membros. This is what was presented to Mego's top brass for approval in 1978:

- AcroRay
    Last edited by AcroRay; Mar 28, '09, 12:06 AM.
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

May he RIP.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Sad to hear, I enjoyed his work immensely.

Thanks for posting this Ray, too often we never get the name to the toy.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• vulcan2074
        Live Long and Prosper
        • Mar 23, 2008

Thats so Sad to hear. May he RIP
        Sammy

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
          Career Member
          • May 14, 2007

Sorry to hear this. He helped make this kid very happy one Christmas back in the late 70's.

Bob

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Aside from Baron Karza, those Aliens were my favorite micronauts--esp. Repto!

Sorry to hear of his passing.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Sentry
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 3, 2007

Man, I read this on the Embassy newsletter, it's rather sad, he designed toys that my nephew and I both collected, (Adam collected Turtles and I Micronauts of course) so much joy that man brought to millions of kids. Plus, when I found out I got a semi-complete Hornetroid in the mail that day. *sighs* R.I.P. Stephen.
              sigpic
              http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
              [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Blitzkid
                • Feb 20, 2010

Those toys were absolute beauties-May he rest in peace.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Another loss for the Mego and toy community as a whole. Thanks Ray, for letting us know, but more importantly for letting us put a name behind our toys.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Cmonster
                    Banned
                    • Feb 6, 2010

Farewell to a genius and innovator... One of the greats, who contributed art and ideas to the most incredible era in the history of toys. May there be markers in heaven that never run out of ink...

SC

Comment

• LadyZod
                      Superman's Gal Pal
                      • Jan 27, 2007

It's amazing how many people touch our lives that we're never aware of.

This man is responsible for a good part of my imagination through his design.

Toys are much more than just a child's plaything... seeing how everyone is affected by his life and passing is a testament to that.

May we continue to celebrate his life with the awe and wonder his work brought us as children and now as adults.

Anna
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                      Check out my art:
                      Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                      Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

THE MAN WAS A GOD!!!!!!

Them aliens are still some of my favourite figures, and characters. There's something totally ingenous about them; simple, concise, evocative of an alien physionomy not quite humaniod, not quite insectile.... suggested with an almost minimalist design. And wholly their own. There's no confusing them for something else.

....plus; eyebolts, hooks AND a circular saw? GENIUS!

....even though a lot of folks were put off by the saw.

Don C.

Comment

• AcroRay
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 17, 2005

Believe it or not, Lee only designed Repto's blaster for those initial 3 figures. The other weapons were developed by Mego - or more likely their contractor the HMS company. So those features weren't his work. In all the concept art for the first figures, their weapons were more-practical blasters, shields, or their wrist-sockets also utilized fingers.

Mr. Lee told me he thought the circular saw was just silly. He was very much into realism with his science fiction hardware concepts (and spent some time working as a designer for Boeing's aerospace division). He said "Someone coming at you across a battlefield with a circular saw... Well, that wouldn't really be much of a threat."

Lee did a concept (art long since lost) of a heavy cannon for Antron that would lock to a socket that was intended to be in the figure's chest, and with 4 support bars that would have fit to each of Antron's hand accessory sockets.
                          Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                          AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                          The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                          Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Megosean
                            Old School Megoer
                            • Jun 2, 2007

Bummer...my 4 year old loves these guys too. But hey, I suppose going out having impacted lives is something we all would be proud of.
                            I have way, way, way too many toys.
                            http://www.toysyouhad.com

Comment

• danadoll
                              Micronaut Nut!
                              • Apr 11, 2005

The Antron cannon idea sounds fantastic, Ray. I'd love to have seen the drawings for it.

Mr Lee was very talented, his work on the Micronauts aliens was inspired (they were very much in the same vein as the earlier Micronauts figures, yet different...One might say "alien".

R.I.P.

Dana
                              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎