X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Where is Metropolis and Gothem City ?

On the old George Reeves show Metropolis was clearly Los Angeles right down to seeing City Hall in every episode.
    In the Chris Reeve movies, Metropolis was clearly New York City-- right down to seeing the Statue of Liberty, the World TRade Centre and even hearing constant NYC accents.

Question:
    Which city is suppose to be the real Metroplis ?

Also,
    Same question for Gothem City.
  • namtab29
    #1 Aquaman Fan
    • Feb 22, 2005

Amazing Heroes did a quasi-official "History of the DCU" article way back around 1986(right after the Crisis), and i remember they placed Metropolis in DELAWARE, and Gotham in NEW JERSEY!!

once you can get your head around the idea of having Delaware and Joisey bein being the home of the World's Finest team, it does sorta make sense---no way could Metropolis be anywhere in the same state as NYC, and i can picture(as a Jersey resident myself) Jersey containing a run-down, cesspool pit of a city like Gotham.

and from what i remember, Central City was in Maryland, and Midway City in Ohio!

rob!
    http://www.namtab.com
    http://www.treasurycomics.com
    http://aquamanshrine.blogspot.com
    http://digestcomics.blogspot.com
    http://www.allinblackandwhitefor75cents.com
    http://heykidscomix.blogspot.com

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Both Cities are five miles near Springfield home of the Simpsons

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I always pictured the Adam West Gothem to be somewhere out west --- but not California.
        Maybe somewhere like Northern Arizona or even Nevada.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
          The Man of Many Voices
          • Aug 30, 2005

EVen though there are places in the world with those names, both Metropolis and Gotham City are ficticious cities. I'd read in either a comic or in one of those Wizard specials that both Metropolis and Gotham are both based off areas of New York City, the east and west sides.

I'm not sure which is which, but the better side is what Metropolis is based off of while Gotham represents the worst side, but that is what I remember reading one time. In film and TV, I have no earthly idea where those versions of Metropolis and Gotham City are.
          Cheers.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by namtab29
            Amazing Heroes did a quasi-official "History of the DCU" article way back around 1986(right after the Crisis), and i remember they placed Metropolis in DELAWARE, and Gotham in NEW JERSEY!!

once you can get your head around the idea of having Delaware and Joisey bein being the home of the World's Finest team, it does sorta make sense---no way could Metropolis be anywhere in the same state as NYC, and i can picture(as a Jersey resident myself) Jersey containing a run-down, cesspool pit of a city like Gotham.

and from what i remember, Central City was in Maryland, and Midway City in Ohio!

rob!
            Yeah,Gotham City still holds true,if I'm not mistaken. Metropolis I think has since been moved closer to Gotham. Not 100% sure.

Comment

• Evel KMego
              Museum Daredevil
              • Apr 26, 2006

Actually Metropolis, IL. is just west of Paducah, KY. They have a Superman Fest. every year. It's kinda like a small town fair though. There is a cool Superman Museum there though with lots of Superman toys and memorabilia.

As for the fictious cities, I don't know!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

According to New Fronteir, Central City is in Illinois.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Where is Gotham city?

It is where Batman lives.

Where is Metropolis?

It is where Superman lives.

Anymore questions?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

There have been various answers to these questions over the years, but the Gotham in Jersey one in particular seems to be sticking. Mayfair Games issued an Atlas of the DCU when they were producing the DC role playing game. It also lists Metropolis in Delaware and Gotham in Jersey. Green Arrow's Star City and Green Lantern's Coast City are said to be in California (not surprising about Coast City). Atom's Ivytown is in Connecticut. Hawkman's Midway City is in Michigan. Wally West's original home, Blue Valley is in Nebraska. Barry Allen's Central City is located in Missouri, while Jay Garrick's Keystone City is located in Kansas. Post-Crisis, the two are supposed to be sister cities. The Flash comics of recent years almost always follow these rulles for Blue Valley, Central, and Keystone. Although Central being in Ohio pops up from time to time. I didn't recall seeing the Maryland thing before. Man that town gets around!

None of this is set in stone of course. Smallville has been permanently set in Kansas, I think mostly due to Superman: The Movie. In every version of the Superman story since, it's in Kansas, although the Smallville TV series says Metropolis is only 3 hours away from Smallville. That means it ain't in Delaware in that continuity!!!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2007

DC Atlas may be of help.
                      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by ShadowAvenger
                        DC Atlas may be of help.

Wow, Gothem City is Atlantic City NJ ?

TRUST ME, I've been to AC more times than I care to mention--- and it's NO Gothem City.

Who wrote that crap map ?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Longtime comic scribe (and friend of Rob's Aquaman Shrine) Paul Kupperberg wrote the Mayfair DC Atlas.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                            Mayor of Megoville
                            • May 10, 2003

Although supposedly distinct cities, they obviously both are metaphors for NYC. I like the analogy that Metropolis is NYC during the day, and Gotham is NYC at night. Growing up as a kid though, I tended to think of Metropolis as Chicago, and Gotham as NYC. Metropolis was too shiny and bright to be the NYC I knew.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Actually,it's been said that Metropolis is suppose to be based on Toronto. True or not is another story.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎