X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

1922's Nosferatu

I'm ashamed to admit it but i've never seen 1922's Nosferatu until last night.

Some TV channel, it might have been TCM played it, so I thought i'd give it a shot.

I'm not big on silent pictures, so I was expecting to not be able to finish it.

Surprisingly, I made it all the way through and quite enjoyed it very much.

I have one question .......
    The movie I seen last night had different colour tinted scenes throughout the movie.
    It wasn't that it was colourized ... Just entire scenes were alternately tinted -- blue, red, yellow, amber etc.
    Is this true to the original movie ?
    If not, why would they do that during restoration ?

Hard to imagine this movie is 87 years old !!!
    Last edited by Mikey; Mar 16, '09, 8:02 AM.
  • ramsey37
    • Jun 18, 2001

It's not commonly remembered nowadays that many silent films used tinted film to create a mood in a given scene. Blue sequences are generally night scenes, amber or sepia tones usually are daytime scenes, and other colors were used to evoke horror, battle, etc. I seem to remember reading years ago that studios would have film stock dyed or hand-tinted for specific sequences. What we would recognize as true color film was already appearing around the time "Nosferatu" was filmed, but the film was alot more expensive to make and use. When studios did use color film, it was usually sparingly and for very specific scenes. There's a couple of color sequences in "The Phantom of the Opera", for instance. The color looks rather crude by modern standards, but it's really cool to see the Phantom in his Red Death costume.
    George

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I've seen it,I liked it as well
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

It's still impressive, and Shreck's appearance is very effective.
        Be sure to watch Shadow of the Vampire, "documenting" the making of the film.
        Some of the scenes in that recent movie are outstanding (and hilarious at times).
        It seems as if Shreck was convinced he was a true vampire....
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

The main lead's girlfriend/wife ...

Man, she was pretty nasty looking in some scenes.

I dunno if it was the makeup or what, but I would have swore she was a guy.

In some scenes she looked like Freddie Mercury -- I kid you not

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I started to watch it last night but then turned it off to come here.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Great movie. Still holds up. There are a lot of bad public domain copies on DVD out there and most are missing scenes and the tinting. The movie makes a lot more sense with the coloring tinting. Otherwise it looks like Orlok is walking around during the day.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Man, I wish I knew it was on. I've always wanted to see it. The make up on Schreck is truly frightening. I still remember the first time I saw him in Bowie/Queen's "Under Pressure" video. Scared the beejeezus out of me!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Great film, and Schreck's portrayal was one of the creepiest looking movie vampires ever (Klaus Kinski in Werner Herzog's 1979 remake was pretty damn creepy too though, as was Reggie Nalder in "Salems Lot", who's look seemed to be inspired by Nosferatu)

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

I have never seen the whole film either. I think I have only seen clips of it. That vampire scared the crap out of me when I was a kid and I used to have nightmares about him. Didn't help when the Salem's Lot vampire looked just like him and I did see that (and did have nightmares, LOL). I think that creepiness has just persevered over the years so much that I really don't want to see it but I'd imagine it's probably not as nightmare-inducing now as it would've been had I seen the whole thing as a kid. Being silent seemed to make him even scarier.
                    I've never seen the original Chaney Phantom either but only because I've never had the chance.

Rich

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

The use of fast-motion on some scenes (like the coach) is really creepy and weird.

It almost makes you look twice and think --- did I just see what I thought i'd seen ?

It's subtle stuff like that that really puts it over the edge.

Comment

• Joe90
                        Most Special Agent
                        • Feb 23, 2008

If you liked Nosferatu check out the following:

Metropolis This was restored with a 1980's soundtrack.

Napoleon A masterpiece by Abel Gance.

The Battleship Potemkin This scene was paid homage by De Palma in The Untouchables.

And if you're looking for some American cinema there's always D W Griffith's Birth of A Nation. Be Aware: some are offended by its glorification of Klannish Sensibilities.
                        90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Great movie, I believe I have it on tape somewhere, time to watch it again
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

All I can find are the crap PD copies. I need to look for a better version.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ramsey37
                              • Jun 18, 2001

Kino is usually a safe bet for silent films:
                              http://www.amazon.com/Nosferatu-Ulti...=307XMKBYP7MOA
                              George

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎