Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Doctor use his Sonic Screwdriver way too often lately ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Does the Doctor use his Sonic Screwdriver way too often lately ?

This is an older arguement usually used specifically when discussing Series-1, but lately it seems to be getting really out of hand even more.

Lately, the Sonic Screwdriver has become a do everything tool INCLUDING being a kind of weapon or phaser.

It's getting so out of hand, it almost makes me side in with JNT and decide to chuck it for the good of the show.

Whatcha think ?
  • YANOULI
    Part-Time Timelord
    • Jan 9, 2006

I remember a time when it was used just to open locks or blow up mines, now it's a medical scanner, remote control for a Tardis etc.

The Ice Warriors used sonic weapons, so it not too far fetched that the Doctor uses it as such.

I can see that the doctor would make himself a multi function device but it has been over used lately.
    Last edited by YANOULI; Jul 12, '07, 5:58 PM.
    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Boris71
      GeekBot' For Life
      • May 13, 2007

It is uses a lot these days but so did jon pertwee I rember him using it once to zap some giant alien creatures, so using it as a weapon is not a new idea
      Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If I had one I'd use it ALL THE TIME!!!! Mostly on co-workers.... So I don't have a problem with the Doctor using it all the time.

Don C.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I do think it's over used. Sometimes with the way The Doctor brandishes it I
          expect it to ignite into a Light Saber! Actually that could be kinda cool.

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

He does use it a lot...As did Pertwee (Baker used it often too, depending on the episode). it becomes a bit of a crutch, sometimes.

Dana
            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

But when Pertwee and Baker used it, it usually wasn't used directly as a weapon... Pertwee was quite happy with his Venusian Karate and Tom Baker was happy getting konked on the nogging--then escaping later

Comment

• Steeler80
                Mayor of Strunk
                • Jun 29, 2001

The problem of having the Sonic Screwdriver (and I really love the concept by the way) is that it's easy for writers to use it to get them out of trouble. You've backed the Doc into a corner? Give the Sonic Screwdriver a new ability and presto! he's out.

It was the same with K9 (who I also liked). Why have the Doctor use his mind when you can have K9 come in and blast everything with a laser?

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I agree that the sonic screwdriver can start to become an "easy out" for the Doctor on a number of occasions, which often starts to become lazy writing when it becomes the catch-all for getting the doctor out of tough situations.

I actually really liked the moment in the Daleks take Manhatten when the Doctor dropped the screwdriver on the roof tower.

Which era did they get rid of the sonic screwdriver? I don't recall Peter Davidson using it at all.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure--- but not positive--- it was either lost or broken during the Davison era..... then re-emerged during the 1996 Paul MaGann TV movie.

Not to be confused with the "sonic lance"

m

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                      Pat Troughton in disguise
                      • Nov 21, 2007

It was destroyed in the Davison story "The Visitation", as it was destroyed the Doctor says " I feel like i've lost an old friend"...
                      I liked the moment in "The Empty Child" when Cap Jack asks what the Doctor has and he seems embarresed by it only being a screwdriver....that was good writing and showed it didn't get him out of all dillemnas.
                      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by phil
                        I do think it's over used. Sometimes with the way The Doctor brandishes it I
                        expect it to ignite into a Light Saber! Actually that could be kinda cool.
                        Lucas would have a cow. now that is a fight I'd love to see the legal aces of bucasfillm and BBC dukin it out - both entities are vehement to protect their intellectual property

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎