• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

Why didn't Mego base WGSH on actor's?

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know, if WGSH's like Batman and Robin were made because of the popularity of the 60's Batman, then why arent the figures molded after Adam West and Burt Ward?

I would love to see a Mego Batman with Adam West's head, I am assuming that Mego wasn't allowed to because of copyright reason's or something of a simular nature. The same could be asked about Joker (Caeser Romero) etc.

Anyone know the reason?
    I the Monster Hero
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Actually the I think the Mego Batman head resemebles the Tv vewrsion more than any other version of the character. They also used actor likeneesses for their Superman line based on the first movie. But fo rthe most part it wouldn't make sense to spend money where they didn't nned to. You can read people's recollections online and they most lead to the same thing.
    We all wanted Batman (for example) because it was Batman period. The TV show added to the fire but any representation of Batman would do.
    So and so so forth for other uber popular characters like Superman & Spider-Man.

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Probably because it cost too much and a second reason might be because most of their characters weren't being played by an actor.
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MegoNinja
        Career Member
        • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
        Probably because it cost too much and a second reason might be because most of their characters weren't being played by an actor.
        you could be dead on right with that one, it would be silly to have every Mego an actor look-a-like and then have characters like Lizard or Thor be comic/cartoon based.
        And yes, the cost is probably another contributing factor. Mego took as many shortcut's as they could didn't they?
        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

If You do want an Adam West & Burt Ward...CUSTOMSLAB has some FANTASTIC Mego sized Sculpt's of them for sale!
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I think it would be because they would essentially be doubling up their licensing fees to have to pay both DC and the actors for the use of their likenesses.

Although they did do it in the case of Lynda Carter and Wonder Woman for the 12" figure. I think she might have originally been signed for just a Lynda Carter fashion doll, ala Farah Fawcett or Cher.

Given the fact that the main media tie-ins for the Superheroes in the seventies were the comic books themselves and the animated shows like The Superfriends, why not just save some $$$ and go with the like cartoon/Comic book look?
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MegoNinja
              Career Member
              • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
              I think it would be because they would essentially be doubling up their licensing fees to have to pay both DC and the actors for the use of their likenesses.

Although they did do it in the case of Lynda Carter and Wonder Woman for the 12" figure. I think she might have originally been signed for just a Lynda Carter fashion doll, ala Farah Fawcett or Cher.

Given the fact that the main media tie-ins for the Superheroes in the seventies were the comic books themselves and the animated shows like The Superfriends, why not just save some $$$ and go with the like cartoon/Comic book look?
              I heard that Mego did not have to pay Lynda Carter to use her face which is why they quickly changed the box to have no Lynda on the front of it, they just used her to sell the first wave of figures and then took her out of the picture, thus it was another one of Mego's cheap little shortcuts
              I the Monster Hero

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

If you look at the intro the the 60s Batman, the cartoon Robin w/ Burt Ward's credit looks just like the Mego Robin. So I guess you could say that it was loosely based on Burt Ward.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

The idea to do WGSH came from animated TV reruns, not the live action TV shows.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

The WGSH were licensed depictions of the comic characters, no actors likeness were ever negotiated because they obviously weren't neccesary to the line's survival.

The only clear TV influence present in the WGSH is the Batmobile, today you can't get away with that.

I'm still set however on the concept that the Fantastic Four line is somehow celebrity based, they look so much like people that I think the sculptor based them off something.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I think Reed and the Thing look like Kirby drawings done in 3D, with a touch more realism. Sue looks like Merideth Baxter-Birney.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I always thought the 12" Superman line came as close as they could to the Movie likenesses without having to pay the movie actors.

Having a Bald Luthor and Jor-El in his Comic book outfit probably helped.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎