X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Return to the Legion of Doom

Remember this? I've been working on the artwork lately and I'm about ready to give up on it.

I think it'd be a really attractive carrying case playset with the Doom on one side and the clash of heroes and villains on the other. But once you open it up and set it up, it's huge--20 inches deep and about 30 inches wide, 10 inches tall plus the symbol in the middle that snaps on---and for what? It's a conference room that sits 13 people. Whopee!

The outside walls image could either be a big spread of the swamp or the clash extended out. --I'm torn, could go either way--- The one drawback is that these would both have a handle right smack in the middle of the picture. And this is on the outside--it's the most fun part, but it's outside.

or....

Here's where it loses me. The interior is like the headquarters in the cartoon, curtains and windows with the swamp outside. You'd have the big tall symbol thing and some kind of conference table (see earlier posts). Now maybe this is a great display?--pose a bunch of custom figures in front of it and it'll be sweet. But I worry that it's boring, what do you think? I think about adding a jail or trap door thing like I did on my Hall of Justice, but that didn't really go over that well in sales and how much are you going to play with your LOD customs anyway? Am I being too hard on it?

Here's the wedge artwork. The figures are looking pretty good now.

I think I'm going to make one just to see the carrying case, but I'm pretty skeptical that this is a great playset.
    This profile is no longer active.
  • Mego Milk
    Custom Mego Maker
    • Jun 3, 2007

real real awesome sir!
    real real real real awesome!

Comment

• sauce
      Removed
      • Jun 24, 2007

It's an awesome set. And I also do see what you are saying....
      Are there any shots ever of the cockpit of that thing? I can't recall, even though I watched that show like crazy. Well,anyhow, I'm saying that some other artwork inside to allow more play value, beyond the conference room, that would be groovy.
      :-)
      Bryan

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

The outer artwork is very cool, but yeah the inside is just a conference room. On the other hand, if you do have the custom figures this would be a cool way to display them
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I like the outside with the Hall of Doom on it better than the characters.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• censy
            thread killer
            • Sep 26, 2007

Scott, I think it would make great a tri-box.

Chris

Comment

• jasonmego1277
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 9, 2008

I like it too. It would be a great way to display your Mego Villians. AWESOME Looking. As far for a play value..... Well unless Lex is going to hold endless meetings and/ or the Legion members will be having endless award ceremonies. It might make it scale low the replayablity scale......But for Display I would want one.
              In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                • Oct 8, 2007

WOW, simply fantastic artwork. This one is a personal favorite for me since I am working hard on a legion of doom custom set. If you give up, I might have to find another hobby. ok not really.

I think you've captured exactly what it is, basically a conference room in the swamp. I must say, I want it for display as I don't care as much about playability. If I were going to commission one right now I would order exactly what you are showing, the swamp scene on the outside, and the conference room inside with the table. That'd be perfect for what I'm after. Maybe even skip the handle since I'm not really carrying it around and it would affect the art, although I totally dig what you do with the Case design.

I absolutely love that Challenge of the SF Artwork, and would really like to have a Poster version of it. It would go perfectly hanging on display with my LOD and Hall of Justice Playsets.
                Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Mar 12, '09, 10:23 AM.
                "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

looks good to me bro
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• david_b
                    Never had enough toys..
                    • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by MegoRonin
                    WOW, simply fantastic artwork. This one is a personal favorite for me since I am working hard on a legion of doom custom set. If you give up, I might have to find another hobby. ok not really.

I think you've captured exactly what it is, basically a conference room in the swamp. I must say, I want it for display as I don't care as much about playability. If I were going to commission one right now I would order exactly what you are showing, the swamp scene on the outside, and the conference room inside with the table. That'd be perfect for what I'm after. Maybe even skip the handle since I'm not really carrying it around and it would affect the art, although I totally dig what you do with the Case design.

I absolutely love that Challenge of the SF Artwork, and would really like to have a Poster version of it. It would go perfectly hanging on display with my LOD and Hall of Justice Playsets.
                    I agree totally with MegoRonin for the cool displayability. That's a big factor for most collectors, and if you can get a less-expensive display case like this out faster without any 'additional playability', so be it. I think most would LOVE to have one 'as is'. Yes, the artwork is OUTSTANDING!

david_b
                    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• starsky
                      veteran member
                      • Aug 26, 2007

scott, you should really bring your stuff to a toy show! i think they will sell! they're awesome!

Comment

• REMOVED
                        • Apr 18, 2024

i love the swamp...

Comment

• MegoNutt
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 8, 2009

Agree that playset would be awesome for displays. Love it!
                          If you need a hole, I can dig it.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

Don't give up on it...I think it looks wonderful...and very tempting.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                              To Fear is Not Logical...
                              • Feb 17, 2008

Hi Scott, I hope you don't mind, but I drafted an idea to try and have the best of both worlds. Use the SF artwork on the outside and then maybe try this for the inside. one half would be the conference room with a smaller round table with chairs and then the swap side could have a glove like the Gamma VI playset? Probably expensive to do, but I had the idea flash in my head and thought I would share.

Steve
                              It's all good!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎