• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

semi-annual "name that movie" dilema

So....

There's amovie that I've been looking for, but don't know the name of; and every so often I bring it up hoping someone's seen it. It's not "The Bermuda Depths," but it DOES feature a weird girl/ghost/giant turtle plot. This one takes place on an oil drilling rig, where the crew finds a woman floating in the sea. They take her on board and she turns out to be a weird turtle/lycanthrope sort of thing. The scene I remember best is at the end: the rig is wrecked, and there are two characters left, the hero and his sidekick. She transforms and eats the sidekick, and I remember the transitional phase of the transformation. For a second they show her with heavy Aztec/Egyptian looking makeup and weird eyes.

Anyone seen this one?

Don C.
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Nope, but it sure sounds like a cool movie
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Cool, a were-turtle. This I gotta see.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ramsey37
        • Jun 18, 2001

Any idea who any of the stars were? I'm stumped.
        George

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

YouTube - Proteus (1995) Final Monster Great White Shark Transformation

Proteus?
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
            So....

There's amovie that I've been looking for, but don't know the name of; and every so often I bring it up hoping someone's seen it. It's not "The Bermuda Depths," but it DOES feature a weird girl/ghost/giant turtle plot. This one takes place on an oil drilling rig, where the crew finds a woman floating in the sea. They take her on board and she turns out to be a weird turtle/lycanthrope sort of thing. The scene I remember best is at the end: the rig is wrecked, and there are two characters left, the hero and his sidekick. She transforms and eats the sidekick, and I remember the transitional phase of the transformation. For a second they show her with heavy Aztec/Egyptian looking makeup and weird eyes.

Anyone seen this one?

Don C.
            Actually, I had that happen to me on a vacation....

Man, sounds like weird movie....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>Proteus?

Nope, but that's pretty close. This one was from the very early 80's. (Similar enough it might have been "inspired" by the film I'm thinking of.) I don't remember anybody who was in it, and it might have been one of them "movie of the week" deals.

The last scene has the hero and his bud hanging on to the rapidly sinking ruins of the oil rig, and it's raining really hard. The girl shows up and the sidekick goes off 'cos he'd suspected her of being evil right from the start. There's a bit of talking, she smiles and transforms, eats buddy and leaves. The Proteus scene is very similar, but in the one I'm thinking of the hero is already in the water at this point, and the transformation is ony a second or two.

>Cool, a were-turtle. This I gotta see.

I can't attest to how cool it was, since I haven't seen it for 28 years. I remember it was early 80's 'cos it would have come out just after "Empire Strikes Back."

Don C.

Comment

• ramsey37
                • Jun 18, 2001

I took the liberty of posting about this thread over at the UMA. It's possible someone there might have a better idea of what the title of this film is.
                George

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                  Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                  • Oct 8, 2007

The Intruder Within (1981) (TV)

MonsterHunter The Intruder Within (1981)

Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Mar 3, '09, 2:09 PM.
                  "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I don't know if "The Intruder Within" is the film. It fits the criteria, but I remember the woman being the monster, and them finding her at sea. Don't remember the eggs. It COULD be the same, but I can't find a really good description of this film.

....but there CAN'T be that many "evil oil rig" films out here. Can there....?

Don C.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                      • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                      ...but there CAN'T be that many "evil oil rig" films out here. Can there....?

Don C.

No you wouldn't think so, especially not in that time frame, but who knows?
                      "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Intruder within was my second guess but it doesn't have any transformation

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Sounds like a typical Sci-Fi Channel movie of the week.

Rich

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

So;

I e-mailed the guy who runs the second site and he confirmed it's NOT "The Intruder Within." So.... how many giant turtle/woman/monster movies ARE there?!?!?! Was this a popular genre in the early 80's?

I'd almost think I'd imagined the film, but I have a friend who remembers the last scene too; with the transformation. I remember it vividly 'cos I had a toy rubber turtle that I couldn't play with in the bathtub for months after seeing that scene. When "The Bermuda Depths" was shown a few years ago, we both thought that was the film, but it wasn't.

I'm surprised at how similar that scene in "Proteus" is to this film. Except the giant turtlewoman eats buddy, then stares down the hero and eventually leaves. As I recall they had feelings for each other by the end of the film. It's a very short scene; maybe a minute or two. Maybe I should track down the producers of "Proteus" and ask if they'd seen the film I'm looking for.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Intruder Within, the monster is some sort of prehistoric monster, it scared the living hell out of me at eleven.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎