• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justzeg18
    Career Member
    • May 5, 2003

Captain Action License question

Hey all,

I was just pointed towards this link http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemId=131058

and was wondering if they could even get the license to produce a figure of captain action since castaway already does? or do they specify in the agreement that it is based on scale? and the bit where they claim exclusivity is interesting too.

I'm really only curious as I have seen Shocker put out press releases for properties that they don't in-fact have....they pretty much suck over-all as a company really....

any thoughts on this?
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by justzeg18
    Hey all,

I was just pointed towards this link http://74.52.193.82/events/main.php?g2_itemId=131058

and was wondering if they could even get the license to produce a figure of captain action since castaway already does? or do they specify in the agreement that it is based on scale? and the bit where they claim exclusivity is interesting too.

I'm really only curious as I have seen Shocker put out press releases for properties that they don't in-fact have....they pretty much suck over-all as a company really....

any thoughts on this?
    I'm almost positive that it's based on scale. The reason I say that is because a friend of mine was approached by Captain Action Enterprises about the possibility of doing a premium format figure in the 12" scale.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Shocker doesn't actually produce any toys, just flame wars at CBR and Toymania.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

Licenses can be both very specific (scale, clothes or molded plastic, articulated or not), or broad (action figures) it really depends on the specifics of the individual agreement. Most licensor's try and get the biggest bang for their buck, the more specific you are in your agreement the more companies can make stuff from your license without infringing on each other, and you get more royaltees... Some grant MASTER LICENSES, this is usually anything toy related comes from the same company, these are rarer these days since there are so many different formats.

I'm really only curious as I have seen Shocker put out press releases for properties that they don't in-fact have....
        Funny you should say that, I'll ask the CA guys about it, and the last time I spoke with the Dick Tracy folks they didn't mention Shocker either (that doesn't mean it's not legit).

We have the license for 8 inch figures as well as 12 inch stuff with Captain Action...

Comment

• justzeg18
          Career Member
          • May 5, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Shocker doesn't actually produce any toys, just flame wars at CBR and Toymania.
          yeah, I've been following this train wreck of a toy company since they got the Scud license. I've seen several of those huge threads. It's sad how bad shocker seems to suck, really.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ And they won't go away. I don't get how they can afford to keep showing at Toyfair and other shows without actually putting out any product.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

^^^ And they won't go away. I don't get how they can afford to keep showing at Toyfair and other shows without actually putting out any product.
              According to their site it looks like they will ship March 31st... but $18 for a six inch figure seems a bit high IMO... Hmmm... maybe they are finally getting it together...

-Dave

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Doubt it. Diamond and BBTS cancelled the orders for them.

Comment

• David Lee
                  The Fix-it-up Chappie
                  • Jun 10, 2002

^^^ Doubt it. Diamond and BBTS cancelled the orders for them.
                  Wow, that's too bad... But what a train wreck! I read a Wikipedia timeline on these guys (it's bad when there is Wikipedia devoted to it), and some of the CRB forum stuff... I honestly can se how they have been around this long.... If they did in fact make the stuff and have it shipped here from the factory with no place to sell it that would suck! They are a cautionary tale for small toy companies...

-Dave

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I've had some dealings with Shocker before. To my knowledge the only thing they did release was a few generic Shockini figures. None of the licensed stuff has...again to the best of my knowledge....hit the marketplace.

They lost the license to my clients properties (along with most if not all the properties they have at one time or another announced) due to "inactivety". After consulting Kreskin, Karnac, and the Great Gazoo, I forecast the same coming down the line for Captain Action, Dick Tracy, and anything else they have in the pipeline.

As alluded to, these guys seem to have a boatload of money behind them, and they do actually have proprietary moulds, etc for Shockinis, and most of what they have announced, so I have no idea why they never seem to actually step over the plate and come out with anything tangible in the marketplace?
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Well it looks like Shocker is signing an agreement with Captain Action, so that's legit... they may also do other stuff. We will be doing only 8 inch stuff from here on out...

-Dave

Comment

• rche
                        channeling Bob Wills
                        • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by David Lee
                        .... We will be doing only 8 inch stuff from here on out...

-Dave
                        dang
                        I got a bit excited when I read you had a license for 8s and 12s. I was hoping that if all went well for you all, you might delve into the classic release arena. Ah well.

Not that I don't like the 8 inchers. They are mighty cool.

rche

Comment

• Megotu
                          jerk
                          • Dec 16, 2001

Additional Captain Action Query:
                          Any thoughts on CA costume releases? Well, Costume/accessory releases? I realize each ons of these would be a separate license and separate headache...
                          If you did go that route, would you do the rubber over the head mask like Ideal or would you do the separate removable head like Mego did with the Secret Identities? I hafta think the removable head would be easier...
                          sigpic

Comment

• hobub
                            Ghost of a Dead Indian
                            • Jun 18, 2001

Good idea Bill.

Comment

• Megotu
                              jerk
                              • Dec 16, 2001

Secondus as a followup...Some nice Generic types for the Patain Action might be fun too...
                              A few thoughts like Cowboys and Indians, maybe a Bearded Pilot, Sailor and Adventurer type guys....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎