X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beartex2000
    For display only!!
    • Jun 2, 2007

Need suggestions on repairing TinMan

I recentlyfound a TinMan from the Wizard of Oz series that is in need of a leg repair. However,his Chestplate is pressed together,(or glued) in such a way to make it impossible to take off the gray body suit to get to the leg. I'm afraid trying to pry it open will just break the chestplate. Any ideas..or is it a lost cause?
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

You may be able to get him out, but you'll never get him back in. Crack him open.

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

What part of the leg needs to be fixed? What style body is it?

I've managed to work around the armor before. It's real tricky though. If it's a t2 I use a piece of coat hanger wire. Folded in half. You can manage to unsnap the suit and work it over the shoulder. Pull the arm out and remove it from the hook. Do the opposite arm as well. Once the arms are off, you can work the suit off through the armor using the blunt end of your folded hanger to push it through. Make the leg repair, just make sure the arm hooks are hooked onto the hole where the arm goes so you can grab them when it's time to reattach the arms. Then put the suit back on, using the blunt end of the hanger to push it back up and through. Put the arms in the suit before reattaching them, and rehook the arms.

It works, but it takes patience.

Comment

• Hulk
        Mayor of Megoville
        • May 10, 2003

You might consider a seam ripper, repairing the leg, and then resewing, but the seam repair will likely be somewhat obvious.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

My advice: buy a new Tin Man and crack this one open and use him for spare parts
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• beartex2000
            For display only!!
            • Jun 2, 2007

All good suggestions. It is a type 2 body with a broken knee. I shouldn't loose too much sleep over him I only paid $6.00 for him. Thanks guys!

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

Sometimes it's not the price paid, but the challenge of restoration.

Comment

• ozcollector1992
                Longtime Oz Collector
                • Oct 13, 2006

If you really want to keep it as mint as possible i would try Dave's idea. I did it the same way as him before. it takes time and patience but it is possible

Sean
                Your powers on Earth may seem extraordinary, Kal-El, but we are not gods. - Jor-El (Smallville Season 5)

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎