X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Patrick Troughton's "THE INVASION" on DVD

I just finished watching Patrick Troughton's "THE INVASION" for the first time and I gotta say, i'm really impressed.

Never had I seen a Doctor Who story over 4 parts that I didn't think was CRAZY padded until I seen the Invasion.

I do think The Invasion was padded -- at 8 parts .... But for some reason, it didn't seem like a CHORE watching them, like so many other LONG WHO stories.

To me, it seems very Pertwee-ish ..... almost like a long lost Jon Pertwee story.

For a 60's story, i'm surprised how GOOD the Cybermen look.
    They almost look like Tom Baker era "Revenge" Cybermen --- ie the MEGO Cyberman.

The animated lost episodes were cool too.
    The animation reminded me of Max Fleischer style old-time animation with a lot of shadowing and backgrounds that almost look real-- but in haze.
    The two animated episodes really didn't detract ones attention from the story itself.

All in all, a GREAT PACKAGE.....

Anybody else see this yet ?
    Last edited by Mikey; Jul 7, '07, 6:38 PM.
  • YANOULI
    Part-Time Timelord
    • Jan 9, 2006

I bought it when i came out in the UK.

It is a little padded and could've been cut down but it's not as bad as the first 2 Dalek stories, i find them hard to sit through.

The animated episodes are really well done.
    " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I got the VHS a while back; and it's one of my faves. Like "The Web Planet" it's a little ambitious given their budget; but they pulled it off quite well. I actually like the older designs for the Cybermen. (These are Mk 3's I think....) I'd like to see them go back in time and use some of the older ones again... like the "guys in ski mask" Mk 1's.

I haven't seen the new animated bits; but I was concerned....

And I think one of the reasons a lot of the episodes seem padded is 'cos they were originally meant to be shown a week apart. So there's a lot of overlap and repetition of ideas and explanations in them. If you had some time between them it'd probably feel better.

Don C.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

"The Invasion" was considered by the production team to be a test run for the Doctor exiled to Earth format. This would have happened regardless of
        Troughton leaving or staying.

I'm a big Troughton fan so I don't consider the story that padded. I'm just
        grateful all but two episodes exist since there are so few complete Second
        Doctor stories.

"The Invasion" is definetly worth watching. I really liked the animation and
        hope that approach is used for other stories that a missing episodes.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
          Pat Troughton in disguise
          • Nov 21, 2007

What with Cosgrove Hall doing the recent animated Tennant adventure it seems like there is a good business relationship between Who and Hall. Hopefully this means that the animated missing episode idea could well continue(although none have been reported yet)...hopefully starting with "The Tenth Planet"
          ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎