• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Ackerman Collection to be auctioned off

Ackerman sci-fi, horror collection up for sale - Yahoo! News

In a way, it's kind of cool to see this fall into the hands of people who were turned onto this stuff by his magazine in the first place.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

oh

wow!

Would've sorta been nice to see an Ackerman museum. But I suppose it will make for some interesting bidwatching.

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

They're only expecting $500,000 for the lot? That sounds low...I know there's supposed to be a lot of junk, but those signed first editions sound expensive.
      There could only be one of the Dracula with that combo of signatures. And how many Shelley Franks are around? Wish I had that kinda cash to bid!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I can't help it.
        It saddens me.
        A lifetime spent collecting, reduced to an Ebay sale...
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MysteryWho
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 16, 2008

It was just stuff. It was his enthusiasm that was contagious and made it special.
          Everything we have now or have ever had will one day be a pile of stuff.
          People or Little Green Men might theorize about why it was special.
          The best things in life aren't always free. But they are often intangible.
          It's almost too bad that we need stuff to remind us what we actually treasure.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

it's sad I can only imagine what's in there though
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• unataper
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 8, 2007

I would like to have the original ring that Lugosi wore in in 1931 Dracula...now, THAT would be cool to own!!
              For the rules of the road have been lodged, it's peoples games you have to dodge- Bob Dylan

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                • Jan 22, 2008

You would think that for a fairly small sum of 500K, somebody would move the collection into a "proper" museum type setting. I mean, what's 500K to Speilberg or Lucas? nothing.
                I would love to add a piece or two to my monster collection, but I would be happier if it all stayed together and had other directors, fans, prop people continue to add to it for another generation.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, if I was rich and had 500K, I would buy it all and start a museum. All that stuff deserves to be seen. But seriously, I think that price estimate is too low also. Come on, this collection includes a real Lugosi Dracula cape and ring, plus tons of Harryhausen props and some of the actual dinosaur models used to make the original King Kong film. Some of this stuff is priceless.

Comment

• MeerkatMego
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 7, 2007

Maybe it will be like the Star Trek auction and things will go for triple the estimates.
                    Meerkat Mego

Comment

• ramsey37
                      • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                      Yeah, if I was rich and had 500K, I would buy it all and start a museum. All that stuff deserves to be seen. But seriously, I think that price estimate is too low also. Come on, this collection includes a real Lugosi Dracula cape and ring, plus tons of Harryhausen props and some of the actual dinosaur models used to make the original King Kong film. Some of this stuff is priceless.
                      I'm not sure if Forry still owned any of the King Kong dinosaurs when he died. I know that Peter Jackson bought at least two of them a few years ago, the pteranodon from "King Kong" and the styracosaurus from "Son of Kong". I'm not certain what became of the stegosaurus and the brontosaurus.
                      George

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Some of his collection had been sold off over the years from what I've read. I am sure these is a lot of gold remaining but I imagine the brunt of it is pulps, photos and movie posters.

It'd be nice if somebody swooped it all up but I doubt it'll happen.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                          They're only expecting $500,000 for the lot? That sounds low...I know there's supposed to be a lot of junk, but those signed first editions sound expensive.
                          There could only be one of the Dracula with that combo of signatures. And how many Shelley Franks are around? Wish I had that kinda cash to bid!
                          I agree, I would expect the sum of it all to go for a helluva lot more than that
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• bobws
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 13, 2008

It is a shame that it won't just go into or start its own museum. However that $500,000 estimate is always low. the same thing happened to the Marilyn Monroe stuff and JFK items. they give an estimate and the sell prices go through the roof... sometimes triple to 10 times the est.
                            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎