X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Another Soccer Post

Ok, now that the U.S. Men's National Team was obliterated in the Copa America, I won't make excuses as to why they stink because they do but I do wish they would have had their "A" squad there to see how they would have stacked up.

Anyway, the men's U-20 World Cup is going on right now in Canada. It is getting a lot of attention because it is a good precursor to World Cup 2010 since these players will be in their prime.

The U.S. has played two matches so far...a 1-1 tie with South Korea, and the other day, they squashed Poland 6-1 (Freddy Adu scored a hat trick) and the world is taking notice. Granted, it's Poland but beating anyone at this level 6-1 tells you this team is good (Poland by the way beat Brazil this year who has won the last 4 U-20 World Cups).

The U.S. is playing Brazil this evening 6:30 pm Eastern Time and they have finally decided to televise it on ESPN. Should be a good game and even some European Soccer Afficionados who stick their nose up to U.S. Soccer are saying that the U.S. might have a shot at winning the entire thing which would make the world shudder and finally give the U.S. some credit for the great strides we have made over the past decade in the quality of players coming up from youth organizations.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
    Ok, now that the U.S. Men's National Team was obliterated in the Copa America, I won't make excuses as to why they stink because they do but I do wish they would have had their "A" squad there to see how they would have stacked up.
    No one is playing with their A squads in Copa America either, the Euro leagues are in full swing now, and all the top South American players are over there as we speak.

So yes, no excuses.

Watch out for the Mexican team in the sub-20, they won the sub-17 WC, so it's the very same team only three years older.
    Last edited by Hector; Jul 7, '07, 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

Hopefully Freddy Adu will be the real thing come World Cup time. It bodes well that the U-20 team is doing well, but I'll wait to see 2010 before getting my hopes up.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

My fellow beaners are steamrolling all the South Americans, they beat Brazil, beat Ecuador, drew with Chile, and in today's quarterfinal, they blasted poor Paraguay 6-0.

Come on Argentina, win your quarterfinal, so we can get it on this coming Wednesday semifinal game.

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
          Museum CPA
          • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
          No one is playing with their A squads in Copa America either, the Euro leagues are in full swing now, and all the top South American players are over there as we speak.

So yes, no excuses.

Watch out for the Mexican team in the sub-20, they won the sub-17 WC, so it's the very same team only three years older.
          I thought Mexico had their "A" squad in Copa America? I was listening to a Soccer station on Sirius and they were talking about how it was in poor taste for the .S. not to show up at such a prestigious competition with their 2nd string so to speak but mentioned that Mexico had their premiere players.

With that said, the -20 .S. team is looking very good right now and with the win over Brazil so I don't discount that they could take the whole thing if they keep playing like they are right now.
          "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Actually, yes, they are almost at full strength, they are missing two starters who are currently playing in the German league, but you are right, I just wanted to boost Mexico's mystique a bit more...

Argentina has its full squad as well, it's going to be a firecracker of a semifinal this Wednesday, rematch of last World Cup. Are you going to watch it? Game starts at 5:30 pm PST on Univision.

The other semi, Brazil vs Uruguay is tomorrow Tuesday, same bat time, same bat channel.

...and yes, Adam, it's a shame USA didn't show up with its real squad, these tourneys are great for national teams, this only hurts American soccer further.
            Last edited by Hector; Jul 9, '07, 7:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

As far as this US fan is concerned, Mexico needs nothing added to their mystique. I love watching Mexico play the US. Usually a great match.

The US play against Brazil was heartening, but I'm with Paul as far as what this means for 2010. I'm cautiously optimistic.

On a separate note- this soccer talk kills me. I've been out three weeks with 2 herniated discs and no return in sight :( I just hope my team doesn't fall in love with my replacement!
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Don't depair, in the FIFA Sub-20 World Cup, today the USA shocked Brazil, 2-1...YEAH!!!

Explore the latest MLS news, scores, & standings. Plus, watch live games, clips and highlights for your favorite teams on FOXSports.com!

Now to Copa America...

Man, that was a great semifinal game between Brazil and Uruguay, the game ended in a 2-2 tie, they went to penalties, and Brazil pulled it out, damn, for a moment there, Uruguay sure looked like it was going to take it, but Brazil is Brazil for a reason.

Tomorrow, Mexico vs Argentina, man, come on beaners, avenge your 2-1 loss to Argentina this past World Cup.

I hope it's Brazil vs Mexico in Sunday's Copa America final.

I can't friggin' wait when the senior national team calls Giovanni dos Santos up, man, this kid is going to be a monster for Mexico.

Last edited by Hector; Jul 10, '07, 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

Apparently Adu scored an amazing single handed goal against Brazil. Fifa has video of it, but it crashed my PC.

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

But of course...and yes I'll be pulling for Mexico in the upset special. Argentina will be the team to beat so if Mexico can get past Argentina, I think they have a shot at Brazil. Unfortunately, Univision is the only station I get that plays matches regularly.

As far as the -20 Brazil/.S. match Josmer Altidore scored both of the goals for the .S. but Freddy Adu had some great assists and almost smacked a couple in himself....he has a wicked bend to his kicks and being left footed makes it even more threatening to goal keepers.

Rumor has it that he will be leaving MLS when his contract is up in the next year or two and heading to one of the premiere European leagues. I don't blame him. Why bother making $500K or so here in MLS when he can make millions overseas.

Originally posted by Hector
                    Actually, yes, they are almost at full strength, they
                    are missing two starters who are currently playing in the German league, but you are right, I just wanted to boost Mexico's mystique a bit more...

Argentina has its full squad as well, it's going to be a firecracker of a semifinal this Wednesday, rematch of last World Cup. Are you going to watch it? Game starts at 5:30 pm PST on Univision.

The other semi, Brazil vs Uruguay is tomorrow Tuesday, same bat time, same bat channel.

...and yes, Adam, it's a shame USA didn't show up with its real squad, these tourneys are great for national teams, this only hurts American soccer further.
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Argentina is spanking Mexico 3-0 right now, they are just too good.

I can't see a depleted Brazil (who's missing a lot of their stars) beating this full strength Argentinian team (sans Crespo), my prediction for the final is Argentina 3, Brazil 1.

Congrats to the USA sub-20 team for beating Uruguay 2-1.

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                        Museum CPA
                        • Apr 14, 2003

The Argentinians cut through the .S. team like soft butter. They didn't even look like they broke a sweat to beat the .S.

Unless the Argentina team suffers from stage fright, they will easily beat Brazil. I think they could take on any country in the world right now and beat them with both teams playing full strength.

The .S. game was a nail biter. It irritates me that these games are only being aired on Galavision and ESPNU neither of which is on my cable system. I had to sit on my computer and watch the match tracker. The sports channels would rather air bowling or professional billiards....I don't get it.

This Saturday, if ESPN or ESPN2 does not pick up the USA/Austria game, I'm heading to a local pub to watch it.
                        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

You don't get Galavision?

You don't need a premium package to get Galavision.

I'm watching Mexico vs Congo right now, end of the first half, Mexico 1, Congo 0.

Sub-20 World Cup update...

Today's scores:

Mexico 3, Congo 0
                          Argentina 3, Poland 1
                          Chile 1, Portugal 0
                          Nigeria 2, Zambia 1

Quarterfinals (this weekend):

USA vs Austria
                          Spain vs Czech Republic
                          Chile vs Nigeria
                          Argentina vs Mexico...AGAIN (damn, how come us beaners always get bloody Argentina in every friggin' tournament???)!!!

We just cannot get away from them bloody Gauchos.

Last edited by Hector; Jul 12, '07, 8:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                            Museum CPA
                            • Apr 14, 2003

No Galavision around here on my cable system...just Univision.

Like I said, I'll be heading to a local pub tomorrow to pick up the .S/Austria game.
                            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Ray Hudson is the best bloody football color-commentator on the planet, that dude is a friggin' riot, lol.

I'm watching him on Gol TV, that dude cracks me up.

Here's a sample of his work:

"Oh man, there's gonna be some loving going on tonight in the bedrooms of Madrid!"
                              The announcers on Gol TV go wild during the Real Madrid v. Mallorca game on June 17, 2007

Smacktalking Tom Cruise, lol...
                              On the GOL TV broadcast of Real Madrid vs. Mallorca June 17, 2007. Final minutes of the game and a mistaken comparison of Tom Cruise to Real sets off the wor...

"Orgasmic jubilation!"
                              Gol TV's Ray Hudson goes nuts as usual as Roberto Carlos gets a last minute win for Real Madrid over Recreation in the Spanish La Liga.

The man, the legend...

His funny as hell quotes...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎