Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filmation's Superman: Which Version Did You Like Better?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Filmation's Superman: Which Version Did You Like Better?

What? There were 2 versions of the Filmation Superman? I only remember one show. Filmation had 2 Batman shows but not Superman. If these thoughts are in your mind, believe it or not, there were 2 different versions, but it was within the same show. Kind of similar to Batman: The Animated Series where the last episodes had a revamp in character design and animation style.
    Filmation produced a total of 68 episodes between 1966 and 1968. The first 36 ran in 1966 and 16 more were in 1967. The main look of the characters and the animation style was in the first 52 episodes, but I feel that Perry White looked awful the way they designed him. Sometimes, everyone else, including Superman himself were sloppily drawn. The worst looking Superman to me was in "Luthor's Fatal Fireworks."
    But the other version I was talking about was a slight revamp of the character designs as well as the change in animation style to resemble what they were doing when they animated Batman in 1968. I felt these character designs were much better, including Perry White and Lex Luthor. This new look was used not only in the last 8 episodes (2 part stories) but also in Superman's guest appearance in the Brady Kids as well as in the Sesame Street short.
    Like I said, I felt Superman, Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen as well as Brainiac looked good in both versions, but I liked the revamped looks in 1968 since they make a better match to the Batman shows. Everybody looked good in those.
    Cheers.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I may have seen these later ones, but I'm not sure. I chalked up the differences to the usual varying standards of television animation. I just read about this revamp this week at the Superman Homepage. Were the later designs even more Curt Swan-like?

I do think that Filmation's 68 Batman series looked much better than the majority of the Superman/Superboy Filmation toons I have seen. They made some big leaps in quality in two years.

If only they hadn't mutilated one of the greatest super hero costumes ever...Kid Flash's!!!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I may have seen these later ones, but I'm not sure. I chalked up the differences to the usual varying standards of television animation. I just read about this revamp this week at the Superman Homepage. Were the later designs even more Curt Swan-like?

I do think that Filmation's 68 Batman series looked much better than the majority of the Superman/Superboy Filmation toons I have seen. They made some big leaps in quality in two years.

If only they hadn't mutilated one of the greatest super hero costumes ever...Kid Flash's!!!

Chris
      I may be in the Minority here but I did like Kid flash's costume I for one didn't care Heck I liked Kid Flash's costume when it looked just like the Flash's..LOL! for me it's just a variation....to each his own. I love all of Filmations DC stuff it was part of my childhood and I don't care what anyone thinks I loved their Aquaman!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

when is Aquaman going to make it to DVD?? And all the JLA shorts?
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• filmation batman fan
          The Man of Many Voices
          • Aug 30, 2005

Earth 2 Chris. If you're wondering whether or not you've seen any of the last 8 episodes of the Filmation Superman, all you have to do is find the old Superman cartoons on VHS under the title of the Super Powers Collection. There is one episode called Luminians on the Loose. It was a 2 parter that they edited into one long story on VHS. The other episodes I can recall, I saw on USA, Cartoon Network or Boomerang. Episodes like The Ghost of Kilbane Castle, The Japanese Sandman, Rain of Iron, Team of Terror, The Mysterious Mr. Mist, and Can a Luthor Change His Spots? And there's one more but the title escapes me at the moment... wait, I think it's called Luthor's Lethal Laser.

As for when the other DC Heroes are coming to DVD, WB has not made ny formal announcement yet nor have they made any informal ones, but on www.tvshowsondvd.com, they had a conference with WB about what is and is not coming to DVD. It was said that Filmation's Aquaman and the
          Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians would be coming out later in 2007, But nothing further. I personally hope that the DC Heroes vinettes will be part of the Aquaman set. I'd hate to see them continue to be rare.
          Cheers.

Comment

• Hulk
            Mayor of Megoville
            • May 10, 2003

Could you provide us with a visual reference? It would help the thread tremendously.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎