Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Price Stickers- any cheap methods?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

Removing Price Stickers- any cheap methods?

Hello everyone,

I am interested to know if there are any real easy and cheap methods of removing price stickers from cards/boxes that doesnt require certain chemicals. For example, a friend of mine recommended that I steam them off by boiling a kettle and holding the affected area over the steam. I tried this on a MIB vintage star wars speederbike, the results were ok, but still left heaps of residue behind.

Anyone else got any ol' fashioned way's of doing it?

thanks
    I the Monster Hero
  • Merlyn1976
    Fist of Khonshu
    • Mar 29, 2005

Lighter fluid and a razor blade....
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

UNDU

It's the only thing I even try to use to get stickers off. If there was an "old fashioned way" that was effective, there wouldn't be a need for it.

I pick it up in the crafts section at Walmart, but the link above is through Amazon using the Museum banner link.

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

I use lighter fluid also. I'll try what Hulk suggested next time. Probably not as bad smelling.

Comment

• MegoNinja
          Career Member
          • Feb 7, 2007

lighter fluid, excellent. Thanks for the help guy's.
          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Goo Gone...you can get it at any Home Depot. Has a citric base to it...leaves behind a orange scent

It's worked for me. Might have to do more than one application. I usually get a Qtip swab and douse the swab with goo gone and rub it over the sticker...wait a minute for the solution to react with the glue and then gently start to peel the sticker off....again GENTLY peel it back. Don't rip off the sticker. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Sowth
              Career Member
              • Mar 14, 2006

I've found that a small hair-dryer on the lowest setting works best. Just make sure you aim the heat away from the blister if you ever try it on a carded figure!

It only takes a few seconds at a time to heat up the glue and the tag will peel right off, usually in one piece.

It's best to avoid all chemicals except as the last resort IMO.

Good luck!

Will
              Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• Evel KMego
                Museum Daredevil
                • Apr 26, 2006

I use Goo-Gone as well. It works very good, but be patient. Make sure sticker is completely moistened through before starting to pull it off. It will look like it stains your cardboard, but it disappears completely once dry. Works excellent on bubbles or other plastic areas.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 7, 2007

so many ideas! Maybe I'll try a combination of lighter fluid, goo gone and hairdryers!
                  I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Hulk
                    Mayor of Megoville
                    • May 10, 2003

If and when those don't work, feel free to try UNDU. FYI - With certain stickers you can even save the sticker and reuse it with that stuff.

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

If you're talking about new cards and boxes, go ahead and remove them (plenty of options). But if you're talking about Mego cards and boxes (or otehr vintage toys) I'd leave the stickers on, it just adds to the charm having a 30 year old price sticker on it. Besides, the color of the box/card will have undoubtedly faded a bit (either from the sun or from the light in the store, your house, ...); which means you'll end up with a darker spot once the sticker is gone. And that wold bug me more than some old price sticker
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎