Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else a fan of The Beatles HELP! movie ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I remember back in the 70's, they would only play it once a year ... and for me it was always an EVENT when it was broadcast.

Even though the Beatles are incredibly horrible actors, Help was still a good fun movie with a decent plot and great music.

I Need You
    YouTube - The Beatles - I Need You

Anybody else love HELP!

m
  • Vortigern99
    Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
    • Jul 2, 2006

Well, I've never watched it all the way through, but what I've seen I like! I'm a big fan of A Hard Day's Night, so I find it difficult to enjoy a Beatles movie that isn't in that same vein. But on your recommendation I'm willing to give Help! another chance.

Can you tells us what you like about it so much?

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Pretty good movie. I always loved it when they tried taking the ring off at wherever they went and John was telling them how much of a failure they are.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

As a Kid I actually taped the whole movie with my Tape recorder. I would then play back the movie to at least hear it. This was before VCR's........To this day I know the movie word for word.

My Favorite scene was when they arrived at the airport. They all had disguises and look like their later versions......

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

Different movie, I know, but I'm a fan of the muse. Old now, but yowza! I can certainly understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-7Pk...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfzBG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFKh4rdg1fQ
          Last edited by hobub; Jan 31, '09, 7:40 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I have many different scenes that I can say is my fav ... but I think my fav-fav-fav scene was the 2 second intermission

YouTube - The Beatles - Help! Intermission

m

Comment

• hobub
              Ghost of a Dead Indian
              • Jun 18, 2001

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

I loved this movie. It was just a goofy, fun movie. I tried to get my kids into it but for today's generation, the movie does not have enough action.

the only Beatles movie I did not like was Magical Mystery Tour. I don't think I have ever even m ade it all the way through that one.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                  Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                  • Jul 2, 2006

I'm definitely going to give this one a chance! I'm more a fan of the Beatles' music, esp. their later period, but I love the fellas' personalities too.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

For people who've never seen it, here's the basic plot-line.

The Beatles play themselves in the movie.
                    A radical Eastern Religion regularly sacrifices people to their god.
                    In order to be sacrificed, you must wear the sacrificial ring.
                    Ringo accidently finds it and puts it on.
                    Now he can't get it off.
                    The nasties go after Ringo and the Beatles.

It's a nice easy to follow plot that centers more on comedy and Beatles hijacks then story telling.

Comment

• david_b
                      Never had enough toys..
                      • May 9, 2008

Actually, Type1Kirk, 'guess we're in total agreement again...

'Help!' was always my favorite Fab movie. Beautifully filmed and acted, it's a very stylish and breezy send up of the british action films back then. I used to tape it on my cassette tapes back in the 70s the rare times it was on (I think everyone did....), long before VCRs.

It lacks the energy of the first film, with the Fabs now in mid-flight, not excited by the 'newness' of cinema anymore (and all the pot-intake), and while scenes are seemingly stolen by the other supporting actors, it's actually a better film than some give it credit for.

According to Lester, he strongly defends the film by saying that since the Beatles weren't really 'accomplished' actors, you needed strong co-stars to balance the film out, giving it grounding, allowing the Beatles to simply throw in lines and, well, be Beatles. Saying that, they actually provide a lot of screen presence to the film quite often, despite Lennon's sardonic remarks about them being only guest-stars in their own film.

Again perhaps sensing some energy issues, Lester tries several times to compensate by throwing more pathos, imagery, color-tinting ('Another Girl'), and surreal-stylish photography into the film (sideways filming of 'The Night Before', having Paul doubling on organ in 'You're Gonna Lose That Girl', animated music bars in 'Ticket To Ride') to spice up the footage, which is made good use of, accentuating the 'comic' feel of it, departing from the comparative starkness and reality-feel of 'Hard Days Night'.

But it remains a very enjoyable and attractive trip back to 1965 and shows them off quite nicely. One HUGE regret is for all the behind-the-scenes footage that was apparently tossed out back in 1966 when some of the studio was down-sizing: Lennon also made mention several times about the best parts of the filming experience was the discarded footage of them all lying on the floor giggling, take after take..

Despite the critics' issue of letter-boxing the full-screen dimensions (appartently all the prints were cut down to full-screen at some point after 1965 for television viewing), I'm looking forward to getting the digitized DVD someday soon.
                      Last edited by david_b; Jan 31, '09, 2:30 PM.
                      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• hobub
                        Ghost of a Dead Indian
                        • Jun 18, 2001

I'm sill smitten with the muse. And to think I just discovered her a few days ago. I always knew about the song inspirations but I never thought to look her up until my wife was watching a movie call "Loving Laya" last week. I suddenly started wanting to here Layla, which lead me to lots of Beatles tunes. Youtube is about as addicting as this place.

I must have been living under a rock when I was a kid.

I will have to check out the movie but from now on, every time I think Beatles...Yoko who??

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I love it. It gets a little too 60's at a certain point, but it's still got a lot of laughs and energy.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

Love this movie, an all time favorite. I quote lines from this movie all the time with some friends.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎