Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING!!! Goof Off and Micronaut toys!!!! BEWARE!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynn TXP 0369
    Career Member
    • Jun 10, 2007

WARNING!!! Goof Off and Micronaut toys!!!! BEWARE!!

This is a big warning for any of you guys restoring Mego Micronaut toys!

I just got a set of replacement decals to replace my Terraphant and Battle cruiser decals.
    I normally use Goof Off to clean off the old stickers and residue. I have used it 100's of times on old vintage toys with NO problems, until now....

On my Terraphant I got most of the decals off by hand and put on my Goof Off on as normal to get the residue off. I went to wipe it off and clean and it was EATING the plastic!! Literally!!!!

It was Just like some poured Tenax 7R or Plastic welder all over it and it is making it a stickey gooy mess...... I about freaked out!!!

I'm soo mad right now I can hardly write this. My almost mint Terraphant now has one side that looks like it was scared by acid from a Alien warrior from Aliens!!

I'll have to spend the next few hrs to try and sand it down with my plastic hand polishing kit to try and save it.

You guys have been warned.... Don't do what I just did......

Lynn
    Last edited by Lynn TXP 0369; Jul 5, '07, 8:06 PM.
  • The Sentry
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 3, 2007

OMG! I'm so sorry, that sucks. Been there done that. I wonder what would make it eat the plastic like that?
    sigpic
    http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
    [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
      Career Member
      • Jun 10, 2007

I have no clue....

I have used this stuff many times on old toys with never a problem. I've restored a dozen or so Evel Knievel stunt cycles, wiped down my Lone Ranger horses, and cleaned off stickers of countless old toys to get old sticker residue off. The plastic these are made of must be something funky and sensative to chemicals.

Use it at your own risk... Alcohol worked fine on the rest of the stickers I needed to get off.
      Lynn

Comment

• The Sentry
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 3, 2007

See that's what I use, rubbing alcohol works fine for me (I even used alcohol to clean vintage comics) no problem, but I've never heard of a solution that eats away plastic! I would try to get ahold of someone, if it's job is to clean stuff then I think you should be able to get something out of it! That's just Bullsh**t! I would be very upset! Someone would be compensating me for it!
        sigpic
        [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• ABMAC
          User
          • May 16, 2002

Goof Off is basically xylene, a powerful solvent (and possible carcinogen). If you've been using it to clean plastics and this is the first thing to be damaged, you've just been lucky.

Comment

• The Sentry
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 3, 2007

I'm an idiot, I never new about that stuff, good ol' alcohol and elbow grease is how I clean my stuff for the most part. Never heard of that stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
              Career Member
              • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by ABMAC
              Goof Off is basically xylene, a powerful solvent (and possible carcinogen). If you've been using it to clean plastics and this is the first thing to be damaged, you've just been lucky.
              I guess you must test it on a inconspicuos area first...

Lynn
              Last edited by Lynn TXP 0369; Jul 6, '07, 4:59 AM.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                Stays Crunchy in Milk
                • Aug 2, 2004

Do you mean Goop Off? When you said Goof Off I thought it was a reference to yourself. Sorry to hear your misfortune.

Also remember to never use the stuff to remove hair near the bikini line.
                Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I learned the Goof-Off lesson when I tried to customize a Spider-Man and Friends Ice-Man figure. I wanted to use his clear body for a cusotm, but I need to get the blue highlighted frosty parts of. The Goof Off made the plastic extremely brittle. Parts of it literally crumbled in my hand.

So sorry about your Micronauts! At least my figure was a new one I could go to Wal-mart and replace.

Anyone ever have any ill effects with Goo Gone? I've never really used it on plastic, just toy packaging to remove price stickers.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

A little WD-40 will take off any paper stickers and not damage plastic. It will soak into some things and stain good stickers if it runs so be careful not to get any on stickers you want to keep
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                      I guess you must test it on a inconspicuos area first...

Lynn
                      It melts plastic. Why would you continue to use it on stuff, even inconspicuously?

Comment

• AAAAA
                        Permanent Member
                        • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                        This is a big warning for any of you guys restoring Mego Micronaut toys!

I just got a set of replacement decals to replace my Terraphant and Battle cruiser decals.
                        I normally use Goof Off to clean off the old stickers and residue. I have used it 100's of times on old vintage toys with NO problems, until now....

On my Terraphant I got most of the decals off by hand and put on my Goof Off on as normal to get the residue off. I went to wipe it off and clean and it was EATING the plastic!! Literally!!!!

It was Just like some poured Tenax 7R or Plastic welder all over it and it is making it a stickey gooy mess...... I about freaked out!!!

I'm soo mad right now I can hardly write this. My almost mint Terraphant now has one side that looks like it was scared by acid from a Alien warrior from Aliens!!

I'll have to spend the next few hrs to try and sand it down with my plastic hand polishing kit to try and save it.

You guys have been warned.... Don't do what I just did......

Lynn
                        I feel You totally,I used to to teach plastics manufacting at the collage level 25 years ago, and i always told my students before you used any chemical
                        on plastics ,always treat any substance as tho it was 10 molar acid .and always try a little of the chemical on a small area that can't be seen, and see how it reacts. Even tho a plastic may look and feel like a 100 other plastics that you used it on, it's molecular make up might be quite different!
                        I took apart a G.I.Joe talker 18 years ago to lube the mechcanism , and the Dry lube FROZED the whole thing solid!Because I did not live by my own rules i ruined the Talker.
                        Last edited by AAAAA; Jul 6, '07, 2:37 PM.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Hulk
                          It melts plastic. Why would you continue to use it on stuff, even inconspicuously?
                          Beacuse of I don't know how many years of using the stuff this the first time I have ever had a problem.

I'll definatly be more leary of it now....

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎