Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about film perservation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

Anyone know anything about film perservation?

I just got in a 1950 football film from eBay today. It is 16mm and is a big film (2' dia reel). When I opened it, there was (is) a very pungent chemical smell. Is this film ruined or is it normal for an old film stored up in the case to smell like this?

Any help?
    sigpic
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>there was (is) a very pungent chemical smell

I don't know a lot about film in particular; but that smell is the film deteriorating. Take it to a film lab and see what they can do. Restoring celluloid can be pretty expensive and time consuming; but there's got to be somewhere near you that can do it. Start with one of the bigger photomat/film developing places. (There are probably a few still around.)

Don C.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
      Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
      • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
      >there was (is) a very pungent chemical smell

I don't know a lot about film in particular; but that smell is the film deteriorating. Take it to a film lab and see what they can do. Restoring celluloid can be pretty expensive and time consuming; but there's got to be somewhere near you that can do it. Start with one of the bigger photomat/film developing places. (There are probably a few still around.)

Don C.
      I am bringing it to one Thursday. It will be $40 + $0.15 a foot to convert it to DVD. I just measured it, it is 1600 ft. That will be $280 to convert, I may get rid of it.

14" dia reel
      Last edited by theantiquetiger; Jan 26, '09, 8:03 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
        Administrator
        • Oct 20, 2002

That smell is pretty normal for old film like that. My company runs a lot of this stuff through the dub departmet, and I've run my share. It all smells funky.

We charge 15 cents a foot as well, but there is no $40 fee. That's a little harsh. I'd check around.

Comment

• Drain
          megos are yummy
          • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by theantiquetiger
          I am bringing it to one Thursday. It will be $40 + $0.15 a foot to convert it to DVD. I just measured it, it is 1600 ft. That will be $280 to convert, I may get rid of it.

14" dia reel
          The $280 cost, it that for one DVD or do you get several. If you can get more than one for that, you may find other forum members that will go in on the cost.
          Mego Nudists Fish Nude Show Off your Rod.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎