X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Anyone ever see "The Neptune Factor"?

I waited with baited breath for the special edition releases of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Fantastic Voyage.

Then I noticed those 2 flicks were kind of "grouped" with one more 20'th Century Fox Sci-Fi flick I never heard of. Sea and Voyage came out on the same day with something called "The Neptune Factor".

The plot is an undersea station with 3 people is toppled into the abyss by an undersea quake. An experimental submersable craft made to go to great depths called The Neptune is employed to try to recover survivors.

Anyway, I ended up Netflixing it.

"The Neptune Factor" came out in 1973, the geek in me has to note that this movie has Yvette Mimieux and Earnest Borgnine who both ended up in the Megohead favorite "The Black Hole". The movie also has one of the greats, Walter Pidgeon, from Forbidden Planet.

I also have to tell about the poster gallery. Fox made a poster pairing this movie up with "Battle Of The Planet Of The Apes" as a double feature.

The movie itself is nothing special, except for the fact that they did large amounts of real undersea photography of real little seen undersea creatures.

The funny part is, to improve on the Sci-Fi factor, they made believe these creatures were much larger than they really were (noted in the dialog). And we have a few scenes of a model Neptune floating around these sea creatures with the effect looking like little more than somebody putting a model into a fishtank.

When you want to make these small creatures look larger, you have to make the model small too (when the idea is to make miniatures, large and detailed) and so, it really just looks like a model.

Ben Gazaerra is the best in this movie as the macho, no nonsense pilot of the Neptune.

Also, there is a lot said about how dangerous it is to go deep and the dangers of the craft imploding but there doesn't seem to be any problem with the people deep sea diving at that depth.

Anyway, the first part is kind of boring, the second part has the good photography of the sea life (some with a neat Neptune model floating by).

It was worth a Netflix

mego73@hotmail.com
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎