X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Do you ever watch the stars?

Every night, as I let my dogs out for a pee, I look up, to look at the stars.
    If you just pay attention to them, you can't help but see their beauty.

You can make out the constellations, and by their movements, you realize that this planet is actually moving. It makes me feel so connected to the universe. Watching the layers of clouds surrounding our planet. Seeing the twinkle of a star that possibly burned out thousands of years ago. That light reaches my eye, but the star is gone! Imagine!

Whenever I feel down, and lose faith, in myself, my family and friends, the human race, looking up at the stars builds me up again.
    There is so much out there. A whole frigging universe. Millions of lightyears, millions of stars, lasting millions of years.
    And all we have is about 5,000 years of history.
    It makes me feel small as a human being, and it makes me feel big, being part of that all. We have so much beauty around us. And still, most of us **** each other over for a couple of dollars more.
    Those stars up there, they ground me. They hold me together. As we're heading for a new Dark Ages, with wars and disasters, there's hope, only a couple miles above our heads. I can feel it. I would give all I have, every possession, to one day walk among those stars. I really would.

And as I stand there, looking up, humming the theme from "The Right Stuff", my Jack Russell grounds me again, by crapping right next to my shoe.
    Sometimes, that is needed also.

I just wanted to share that with you guys.
    Don't worry, I'm taking all my medication....
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • Zemo
    Still Smokin'
    • Feb 14, 2006

I always skip words when I read, so when I first read your post, I read it as, "every night whe I go out for a pee and look up" lol

Great post and thoughts. I too often look up a night and just go "Wow" It's pretty amazing.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
      Time to feed the cat
      • Dec 30, 2007

Just sitting on a rock, spinning in a circle,following the light,being chased by a moon.One small piece of a really big puzzle.Star gazzing is a great way to end the long days.Great post, worded perfectly.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

It's hard to star gaze in the city...the city's artificial lights block most everything in the sky.
        sigpic

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Yes, I often look up to the stars, and feel the way you so eloquently described it. I felt that way even as a kid...it's one of my clearest memories.

On New Year's Eve I was in the countryside and could see the beautiful Southern stars so clearly it was quite magical.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Oops double post.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

Yeah it's pretty cool. Like Hector said though, too much light to see them well in the city and I haven't been out to the boonies for awhile but I used to get out in the woods and there are so many more stars that you can't normally see.
              Rich

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Sometimes at night, when I'm smoking a cigarette outside (can't smoke indoors) I do, but mostly I do when I'm in the Ardennes. The view there is magnificent
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• toysrus
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 23, 2007

ufos

just to search for ufos!

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

I moved out of the city so I could see stars again.
                    I used to go up to Sandia peak in Alb. to check out the milky way when I was a teen. I can faintly see it here.
                    Still makes me feel good to look up at 'em when I go outside for a pee.

Comment

• M3G0M4V3R1CK
                      Hooked On Mego
                      • Jun 15, 2008

I Still Live In The City But Not To Far From Me There Is An Area You Can Go Thats Very Dark At Night And Highlights All The Stars It Is A Pretty Site
                      Good Buyer-Trader List ...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎