• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Joker inspired killer wipes out daycare center

A black day for Belgium, this Friday.

A guy, wearing a bullet-proof vest and made up like Ledger's Joker went into a daycare center for children under three, and slashed his way through the building.
    One daycare worker was killed, as were two babies. Over a dozen needed emergency surgery to save them.

When finished, the guy just got on his bicycle and peddled off home.

A tragedy, on many levels.
    For the babies, parents, families, daycare workers.

Also, because they're pointing at a movie as "the inspiration".
    The guy was caught, but denies having done anything, despite many witnesses seeing him come out. Clearly a nutcase.

Perhaps this movie is cursed, you know. It seems to attract death.
    But of course, it's only a movie. A reflection of our society. Not the other way around.
    The guy is being described as "withdrawn", and "a movie buff".
    Hey, soon we'll all be considered dangerous. Weirdos that like these kinds of movies.

One thing I must admit. Sometimes our kids see too much at an early age.
    The new Friday the 13th movie is "all ages". A seven year old can go see it.
    Is that wise?
    Kids see all this violence, in movies, in games.
    How does this affect them?

I myself turned out OK, having seen enough carnage to last a lifetime. All fictional, of course. I even became a conscientious objector.
    I collected GI Joe all my life. Doesn't make me want to kill someone.
    I love Hellraiser. But I don't torture the innocent. Well, maybe by writing very long posts....

Sorry for the rant. Violence is confusing.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

I'm sorry to hear about tragedies like this, but I can't blame the movies. If the movie never existed he would have had some other excuse and done the same thing, anyway. Remember there's like 6 billion people on the planet. A certain percentage of them are total pieces of c.r.a.p. and sooner of later something like this happens and everyone wants to blame violence on TV, or guns or the movies, or >3 oz of liquid in your carry-on bag. I think the bottom line is that some people just suck, and it takes a tragedy like this to weed em out. I don't care what his story is, he should take himself out.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

As a teacher, I find this story horrifying! This guy obviously had serious issues, and was hiding behind the Dark Knight's Joker persona to bring his sick thoughts to reality.

I do agree w/ you about children seeing too much. Just because a movie is based on a superhero, unfortunately doesn't mean it's meant for kids. Children's reasoning processes aren't the same as adults. Fantasy and reality are often blurred. And yes, they can be desensitized to violence. Personally, I think that b/c superheroes attract kids, that they should be fun and campy, not violent and scary. But since movie makers are more concerned about making a buck than the welfare of kids, it's the parents' job to determine what's OK for young eyes to see.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

I read about that,very sad for those people.Thank god they caught him
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• saildog
          Permanent Member
          • Apr 9, 2006

I reject his excuse on the grounds that the Joker would never have done something this heinous. Of course the media will jump on the connection, but the one thing about the Joker is you can almost understand why he does what he does. Otherwise, he wouldn't be intriguing. This wratch-bag's actions are just plain evil and there is no excuse or connection to anything a rational person would relate to, including those who might find the Joker a sympathetic character.
          Last edited by saildog; Jan 24, '09, 7:35 PM.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Links please...I need the source of this information.
            sigpic

Comment

• hobub
              Ghost of a Dead Indian
              • Jun 18, 2001

So sad. I just wonder what this world is coming to. I don't know the circumstances of this incident but right or wrong, I often remember this quote..

If Men are so wicked as we now see them with Religion what would they be if without it? - Ben Franklin
              Last edited by hobub; Jan 25, '09, 2:45 AM.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Thanks buddy!

sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

First of all, the international media dubbed him the Joker killer, not the Belgian media. And frankly I don't see where they got that. The guy did have painted black eyes, but red hair. I don't see the resemblance with the Joker. Sure, the guy was a nutcase, but why drag movies into this.
                  The guy hasn't said a word to the police why he did it (hell, he even denies it), so he sure as hell hasn't said anything about the Joker. I guess a story like this, sad as it already is, just sells better if you ad a movielink to it. And with Heath Ledger having died exactly a year ago that made things so much the "better" for the international media.
                  Being a journalist myself I'm kinda repulsed with the way international media treat this story. It's just a mad killer, who should be shot if you ask me, but don't try to "sweeten" the story with stuff that isn't there. Facts only please
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

That is so sad. I feel for the parents of the babies :(

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

man
                      that is just ****ed up on sooo many levels

they had better hold him in solitary if they want to get him to trial.
                      even the incarcerated don't take kindly to baby killers

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by rche
                        man
                        that is just ****ed up on sooo many levels

they had better hold him in solitary if they want to get him to trial.
                        even the incarcerated don't take kindly to baby killers
                        I don't know how the prison system and prisoners are in Belgium...perhaps Meule can gives us some info on that.
                        sigpic

Comment

• goldenryan
                          coy member
                          • Jul 13, 2007

a "movie buff" that is obsessed with the joker. oh man

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                            I don't know how the prison system and prisoners are in Belgium...perhaps Meule can gives us some info on that.
                            There's no capital punishment here. The most you can get is 30 years (and you can get time off for good behaviour).
                            There are some exceptions that get "life".
                            Our most famous "serial killer", Marc Dutroux, held young girls in his basement, abused them, and let some starve to death.
                            Yet what do we hear?
                            The guy complains about the kind of chocolate spread he wants for his sandwiches. Personally, I'd let some inmates have their way with him for a few months, and then starve him to death in a hole.

Meule is right on the media thing. Newspapers look for a "gimmick" to sell the story. And Batman is high profile with the movie. It's so easily linked.
                            And true. The guy has cherry red hair, and didn't paint his mouth in a grin.
                            But during questioning, he just sits there and grins.

Thing is: anybody can "adopt" a reason for soing something. Chapman killed Lennon. Do we blame "the music"?
                            Some people are just crazy. Or evil.

I still wish, however, that people would be more careful with what they expose young kids to. To me, The Dark Knight was too "adult" for young kids.
                            A young child in my family (five years old), was saying "I'm going to get behind you and cut your throat from ear to ear".
                            Man, that made me take notice....
                            Last edited by Gorn Captain; Jan 25, '09, 11:30 AM.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

There's no capital punishment here. The most you can get is 30 years

Wow, I hate to say it ... and nothing personal, but your system is totally F'ed Up.

Who invented these rules and why doesn't the population rebel against such an injustice ?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎