X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Pro Keds and Converse all-stars

I wore these sneakers as a kid and I see the style coming back. I guess they are also called Chuck Taylors. I remember my days in the 70's wearing those canvas puppies every time I see a kid with them now. I remember you were'nt cool unless you had those shoes.
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

I wore those Chuck Taylors all the time- black high tops- as a kid.

There was a local sporting goods store that was family owned, and the one son would push sneakers on you when you went in, and always offered free tube socks if you bought a pair of sneakers. The dad finally removed him one day, guess he was giving the store away in socks.

My daughter bought me a new pair for Christmas a few years ago, but I couldn't wear then, man they hurt my feet! Too old to be cool anymore, I guess!

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I always had cheap store brand sneakers

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
        Supporter of Silliness
        • Jun 20, 2007

I haven't worn any Chucks since I was in college at the Uninversity of Illinois. I remember I wore them to the gym a couple of times for pickup games. When my 6' lily-white arse walked in with those on, needless to say jokes were cracked at my expense. No worries, 4 years of varsity basketball experience (including some time senior year as the #18 ranked school in Philadelphia) shuts a lot of people up real fast. I think we held court for about 4 hours the first time I showed up. Pretty much nobody laughed at me after that.

Man, I loved those shoes at the time. Wearing them to class made me one of the "artistic" guys, but wearing them on the court made me a throwback. I should pick up a pair just for old time's sake, even if I can't even touch the rim any more.

Comment

• z3zep
          The Girl Next Door
          • Sep 30, 2006

I lived in my Pro-keds growing up. Before Nike came along those were the it sneakers.

I have a pair of Chuck Taylors now, classic but no support.

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

Got a pair of red Chuck Taylors on my ebay watch list right now. Got my daughter two pairs for Christmas this year. She was sporting a pair yesterday for school. Sometimes the good stuff lasts forever. I also wore Puma suedes when I was younger and was actually looking at a pair not long ago but had just bought a new pair of Nike's. I haven't worn low cut sneakers in a long time but may have to get some next sneaker purchase.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
              Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
              • Nov 12, 2005

Funny you should mention this, I just purchased a pair of Pete Maravich Ked's last night.

sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Great shoes,I had the Chucks in every color as a kid even had the Dick tracy exclusives from the 90's but it was all I wore during my Rocker phase in Middle school very comfortable bot good to play B-ball with,you'll break an ankle easily these days with the way guys play.Nothing Like Jordans or Nike Air for that
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

I remember owning about 5 pairs of Chuck's in High School that ranged from your typical black and maroon to aquamarine and a few outrageous colors. It seemed like a lot of people were wearing them and even mixing in wild colored shoe laces....the good ole 80's.

My kids have owned them and thought it was cool that their dad used to wear them too.

I have now seen what look like Chuck Taylor's but the canvas comes all the way up to the knees. My kids call them Emo shoes. It is quite a sight to behold.
                  "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

When I was in grade school, Pro-Keds were it, and my mom refused to buy them. I dunno if she thought they looked too much like boys sneakers or what. She's an older mom and never put much stock in "the style". Every pair of sneakers (which I was only allowed to wear on gym days or weekends) I had were dubbed "Skips" by the other kids, singing that stupid song. When I did get a pair of Converses, they weren't Chucks so I still got teased, (even though it did say Converse on the back of the heel!) I have pretty wide feet now, so those kind of sneakers hurt my feet.
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

Don't feel bad, HardyGirl, I had the same issues. Mom insisted that sneakers were sneakers, so we had the cheap store brand ones. I always wanted Red Ball Jets as a kid too, that never happened. Finally I got a pair of Converse at Sears, but they weren't the "correct" Converse either. Still got harrassed about those shoes. Funny, now I look at expensive sneakers and could never pay that amount- I still wear the cheap store brands. I guess we all become our parents.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

I used to hear this song as a kid: "May-pops, make your feet feel fine, May-pops cost a dollar ninety-nine..."

I wasn't one of the cool kids
                        It's all good!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                          I used to hear this song as a kid: "May-pops, make your feet feel fine, May-pops cost a dollar ninety-nine..."

I wasn't one of the cool kids

I feel ya! They sang that same stupid song to me, but w/ the word SKIPS.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• vulcan2074
                            Live Long and Prosper
                            • Mar 23, 2008

I never wore any Keds. Me and My Sis have been Rocking the All Stars since we were kids. I have a Few pairs that I keep on Standby waiting for there turn
                            Sammy

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by type1kirk
                              I always had cheap store brand sneakers
                              Same here. I had to settle for either the ones from Ames or Jamesway.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎