X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Inspired by Type1Kirk: McDonald's; Pre-Happy Meal

Who amongst us old timers remembers McDonald's before the dreaded Happy Meals? When McDonald's was about burgers, fries, shakes and Cokes, and of course , McDonald Land? When the premiums were stuff about McDonald's, not the latest movie or cartoon tie-in? For those of you who do remember, what was your favorite premium? I loved the glasses and that Hamburglar doll. I remember I wanted coloring calendars, but they went fast. It wasn't uncommon for the local McD's to be out or stock. I never got one then, but I do have one now, complete w/ those coupons at the bottom of each page.

Which premiums do you remember?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

I have somewhere a poster from the early 70's of all of the characters in McDonald Land. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll find it and take a pic. I used to have that up on my wall as a kid.
    It's all good!

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I still remember after seeing Star Wars on opening day with my buddy and his mom, she treated us to McDonalds afterwards.
      I got a Big Mac and it seemed so big

Premiums, I really don't remember (besides seeing TV commercials for them)
      When I went to Mc, it was all about the food

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I loved McDonalds Back in 70s when you could actually eat fast food without getting sick.

When I was little going out was a big deal. Like something you got as special treat like on Birthdays and special occasions. I loved the little McDonaldland cookies shaped like Ronald and Grimace. Do they even make those anymore?

I haven't eaten at one since probably the early 90s. Food didn't taste like it used to and I got really sick from it.

But I still have fond memories of the way McDonalds used to be and I still like the McDonaldland characters. You know, you don't even see commercials with Ronald anymore. It kinda sucks.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

McDonalds is still pretty darn good to me
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• theantiquetiger
            Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
            • Nov 12, 2005

I miss the cookies in the box. Now (if you can find them) they come in cellophane package with three cookies that taste like crap.

I just wish they had the Playlands like they do now, they look like a blast. The one near my house has the playland all indoors. I take my daughters there some afternoons for sundays and playing in the set.
            Last edited by theantiquetiger; Jan 21, '09, 11:54 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I remember I always got a cheeseburger, small fries, Coke and little box of McDonaldland cookies. The cookies tasted like animal crackers but had the McDonaldland charcters. The box had the McDonalds "M" as the handle and the box had great artwork of Ronald and the gang on it.

I remember getting a plastic Ronald McDonald hand puppet as one the toys. Good times.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Odd that you would mention Happy Meals and t1kirks mention of STTMP.

One of the first boxed Happy Meals I remember getting was a tie in for that first Trek movie. I don't recall if there was a toy or anything, but I kept the box in my pile of ephemera for many many years. It may still be in storage somewhere alongside a large pile of comics we used to get in 3for1 packs when we went on roadtrips. I kept my Star Wars cardbacks in the same pile and they smelled like french fries.

I also used to have a few of the plastic bag handpuppets. Grimace and Ronald, I think. Maybe a Hamburgler as well.

I think the sign outside of our local used to keep up with the 'over 35 million served' kind of thing and the number would change periodically. Now I just think they say ' You have all been served!'

rche

edit: I just looked this up and Star Trek the Motion Picture was indeed the first movie tie in for a Happy Meal, tho not the first HM itself. The HM debuted in 79 and cost one dollar.
                Last edited by rche; Jan 22, '09, 1:48 AM.

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

i miss those posters they had of their characters.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 10, 2006

I rember when they were good back in the early 70s around 72/73 when they gave away the freebie glasses make out of real glass not plastic , i also rember the freebie dinner plates and the posters

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      McDonalds is still pretty darn good to me
                      I had a two regular cheeseburger meal today at Mickey Dees.

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

I never ate in McDonald's all that much in the 70s. Maybe once in awhile on vacation. We ate at pizza joints mostly.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

I may be a non-fastfood eating guy nowadays----

but...

RONALD, GRIMACE, HAMBURGLAR, CAPT. CROOK, BIG MAC, MAYOR MCCHEESE
                          and PROFESSOR will ALWAYS be seven of the greatest things pop culture
                          has had to offer me in my brief life.

***raises milkshake***

Cheers!

(I'm still looking for that hot apple pie tree)
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• JPkempo
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 17, 2001

The burger must be a fontain of youth look what it did fot this guy.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

The only premium I remember are the plastic bag hand puppets. McDonalds was more of a treat than anything. I always wanted a Big Mac but could only eat about half of it. Back then it came with a paper ring around it and it seemed huge.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎