X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BendyZaius
    Museum Super Collector
    • Sep 22, 2005

No more old toys on eBay??

I don't think this has been brought up here, but it is being discussed at the Universal Monster Army boards. Looks like old toy sales may be in jeopardy. Thought it might be of interest. BTW, do Mego figures have lead in them?

Millions of homecrafters face bankruptcy after Jan 20 - Digital Journal Mobile
    sigpic "Only an apostate would flee to the Forbidden Zone"
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

Oh for pete's sake, whats next?? At this rate Ebay is going to be ancient history if all this stuff continues. They're worried about lead??? Last I checked most bullets are made of lead, and anybody can get those. What about all the Superfund sites around the country, abandoned mines, and toxic minierals, not to mention animal & human waste, pesticides, and herbicides leaching into our oceans, rivers and waterways around the world? What about all the crap in the air from various emissions? Or all the crap in our food? I wish lead in toys was the biggest problem we have. They're just implementing this B.S. to create the "Perception" of concern and awareness. It won't make a hill of beans worth of difference in the long run other than to put half their sellers out of business. They're worried about this, but I can go to a gun show and pay cash for an AR-15 or any other gun and ammunition over the table with no paperwork, reciept, or background check.

Next, I'll need a small business license and MSDS info just to have a garage sale this summer. What's wrong with us? Sometimes I wonder how we ever made it out of the caves.
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Zemo
      Still Smokin'
      • Feb 14, 2006

From The law as written, before proposed changes "]Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold."

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

That's funny.....

I wonder if it's possible for a US seller to block US bidders ?

Comment

• Zemo
          Still Smokin'
          • Feb 14, 2006

Oh by the way great posting of the article.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

The Act was drawn up after last year's massive recalls of dozens of dangerous, lead-tainted Chinese toys and children's products containing lethal phthalates.

The USA has a history of beating it's own citizens for somebody elses transgressions.

Comment

• theantiquetiger
              Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
              • Nov 12, 2005

The key words are "Children's Products". Just make sure it is not listed under toys, but some kind of collectible. You may also want to announce in the auction that the item is not a toy nor intended for kids.
              sigpic

Comment

• BendyZaius
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 22, 2005

Originally posted by Zemo
                Oh by the way great posting of the article.
                Sorry, I just copied the title and link from the Universal Monster Army forum. I didn't read the 63 page law (I'm a scientist, not a lawyer ), just the article, which does mention eBay and Craigslist.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

just another example of the "man" trying to keep us down

Comment

• Zemo
                    Still Smokin'
                    • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by BendyZaius
                    Sorry, I just copied the title and link from the Universal Monster Army forum. I didn't read the 63 page law (I'm a scientist, not a lawyer ), just the article, which does mention eBay and Craigslist.
                    I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying thanks.

Comment

• hobub
                      Ghost of a Dead Indian
                      • Jun 18, 2001

I think the word "collectible" or "adult collectible" could be a catagorized loophole here.

Comment

• BendyZaius
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Sep 22, 2005

Originally posted by Zemo
                        I think you misunderstood my post. I was saying thanks.
                        Cool, yeah I did misunderstand . I didn't want to be the guy yelling FIRE in the theater. I think Len is right, the whole 'collectible' thing should be a way around this if eBay ever does yield to the government.

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Man that's all we need.I only use ebay for toys,so if this happens I'm done with them
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• johnnystorm
                            Hot Child in the City
                            • Jul 3, 2008

They just had a feature on the local news concerning this and interviewing some consignment store owners who were looking at this as putting them out of business. They had commentary from somebody from the consumer safety council who stated that it does not apply to resellers, yard sales, flea markets etc. It applies to sellers of new goods & toys, so I think we're all safe here.

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

If this goes through, I'll pretty much be done with eBay
                              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎