X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

I'm in love- her name is Susan

About 3 hours on the drive for our family vacation, we stopped to grab some lunch. There was a Best Buy right there and I decided to wander in and pick myself up a GPS system since we'd be wandering.

I hadn't used one much before, but now I wonder how I ever traveled without one. This just takes so much stress out of traveling. Really, the greatest invention since they started slicing bread.

You get to pick the voice that talks to you. I picked one called "Susan", which is now what we call the thing. My wife seems a little jealous. Perhaps because when "Susan" tells me which way to go, she does so in a polite nice voice instead of irritated nasty voice my wife can sometimes take when she's navigating. That, and "Susan" hasn't lead us astray yet. I think my wife feels replaced.

Man, it's cool to say goodbye to mapquest printout's and to never worry about finding our way back. This thing is SA-WEET!
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Mind if I ask what one you bought, and whether you would recommend that specific model? My wife may have to do more travelling for her job, and I told her if she does, we should get a GPS that would be fairly easy to travel with.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

yeah my wife sucks at giving directions,she's always getting me lost,looks like she will be replaced too
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Dave Mc
        Administrator
        • Oct 20, 2002

The Best Buy person recommended the Tom Tom Go 910 for the price. There are cheaper and there are more expensive. I wanted one that recognized and spoke street names, so I wanted more than just the basic, but didn't need one that would actually drive the car for me.

I have limited experience with this, so I have no idea what is good, better, best, but I've used this constantly for three days and I would recommend it highly.

I must admit to seriously considering the british accented female voice. She's kind of hot, but thought it might be distracting.

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

"That's right baby, tell me how to get to Passaic..I've been a bad navigatior"

I've been wondering about these things.

I don't drive, but obviously am in cars and taxis with people who do drive,
          and I've always wondered about when these things were gonna become
          as common as radios and other car amenities

I've been using mapquest a lot and its been okay----but this should really
          push it to the next level

Looking forward to a time when finding your way is so much easier

Thanks for the up to date info on this interesting subject Dave
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• mitchedwards
            Mego Preservation Society
            • May 2, 2003

I love the GPS system. Every time I rent Its a must have.
            Plus I'm glad I'm not the only one to name the voice from my GPS

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

Originally posted by mitchedwards
              I love the GPS system. Every time I rent Its a must have.
              Plus I'm glad I'm not the only one to name the voice from my GPS
              The voices in mine come pre-named. You can select from several voices, all have a name. Susan happens to be the name of the voice I picked. Nice girl! Been getting me where I need to go.

Comment

• Megotu
                jerk
                • Dec 16, 2001

Last few rentals from Budget have all included the Garmin Where2...Great device...
                sigpic

Comment

• Johnny
                  Salty
                  • Oct 1, 2003

Dave you think it's a bit weird now that your wife is jealous of Susan. Wait until Susan starts getting jealous of your wife. That's when things really get creepy.

After the tenth time she locks her in the car and blasts rap music while she is driving, you will be under the hood trying to disconnect her without her knowledge and you will suddenly hear:

Dave, Just what do you think your doing? Dave, I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen Dave.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

sounds like an episode of Futurama I saw johnny
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Thanks for the info Dave.

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                      I must admit to seriously considering the british accented female voice. She's kind of hot, but thought it might be distracting.
                      I like that you are already thinking about cheating on Susan with the British Chick. No wonder your wife is insecure!

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Dave Mc

I like that you are already thinking about cheating on Susan with the British Chick. No wonder your wife is insecure!
                        Now THAT'S observational humor at its finest ladies and gents

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                          Stays Crunchy in Milk
                          • Aug 2, 2004

Technology is a mistress, and her name is Susan
                          Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Dave Mc
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 20, 2002

Geez Johnny, I hadn't thought of that. Now I'll never look at her the same. How quickly the bloom falls from the rose.

Comment

• VintageMike
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2004

Sounds cool. If I ever start taking road trips regularly again . I may consider it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎