Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Universal monster movies ever make it to Blu-ray?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Will Universal monster movies ever make it to Blu-ray?

With higher resolution, I'm not sure if the imperfections ON the film will compete against the clarity of the actors. I would LOVE nothing more than to see this happen, IF the final result is worth while. Of course then you have to wonder what the cost would be as well. Right now you have to really shop to find Blu-rays at a standard DVD price, but they are starting to go down. Maybe by the time these films are considered, price will not be such a factor. I think the novelty of blu-ray is beginning to wane, so the standard $30.00 price tag is becoming much harder to sustain. Without a doubt, studios have learned alot from the past when they allowed prices to drop unusually fast with the advent of the DVD. This time they are trying to maintain that high sticker price alittle bit longer for that elite picture quality. Universal certainly understands this with their classic monsters.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I love the Universal Monsters movies but I honestly don't see the point of them on Blu-Ray. Those old prints can only look so good. The recent "re-mastered" release of Dracula on DVD only emphasized just how unfortunately bad of condition the print is in.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

I'm a sucker. If they put them out, I would probably buy them, but since they were not filmed in widescreen or in color, I'm not sure how much the extra clarity would add considering the conditions of the prints.

I'm guessing Blu ray may have to become the standard rather than an option before such marginal titles would be released. Just like Lucas is waiting for a certain Blu Ray saturation point before releasing Star Wars to make sure he has a shot a maximum sales.

Many feel Blu Ray is going to have a short life because of downloading. Personally, I like having the disc and the cover art.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

I really don't think I could enjoy these movies anymore than I do right now (and I mean that in the best way possible). Blu-ray would be good for the bonus extras (documentarys, interviews, extra movies etc). I'd be a lot more excited for a second boxset of legacy edition movies with sideshow busts of Mummy, Creature, Invisible Man, etc.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎