X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobub
    Ghost of a Dead Indian
    • Jun 18, 2001

SteelCityCon—Pittsburgh Toy Show

The Steel City Con is the exclusive comic con of the Monroeville Convention Center. It is one of the largest comic cons in the United States.

Hope some or any of you can make it. I'd love to see more Mego Dealers there. The show is really growing.

Heh! They're giving away CTVT repops!

I might have to go get one
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

A show that big should spell collectible correctly.

Comment

• JDeRouen
      Author of Small Things
      • Jun 14, 2001

Collectable is an acceptable alternate spelling to collectible but it always looks wrong to me too!

collectable, collectible (adj., n.) These Standard spellings are interchangeable regardless of part of speech: The collectable [collectible] bills were piled on the desk. She has cabinets full of china collectibles [collectables].
      --
      Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

New dictionary editors are afraid they'll offend the ignorant.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Easy rule: It's collectIon, therefor collectIble
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Meule
            Easy rule: It's collectIon, therefor collectIble

And we're all able to collect. Therefore we must be Collectables

Comment

• Sowth
              Career Member
              • Mar 14, 2006

I've always thought it was 'Collectables' in the UK, Australia and other English speaking countries, and 'Collectibles' in the US where they speak... um... American!

Cheers,
              Will
              Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

The -ible ending is for words of Latin origin. Collect is a Latin word, therefore the spelling should be collectible.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                  Author of Small Things
                  • Jun 14, 2001

It should indeed be collectible, which is the way I spell it. However, most dictionaries list collectable as an alternate.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the whole debate, from http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=20000121:

Susan B. Haglock
                  wrote:

How do you know when to use -ible or -able as a suffix? The word collectible looks right to me, but collectable does not, and yet I have seen both. The Oxford English Dictionary says it depends on whether the root word is a Latin word that ends in "ire," but I don't usually know that either.
                  Of all the vagaries in English spelling, this one seems to cause the most frustration and confusion, particularly when the -able/-ible form that you want can't be found in your nearby dictionary.
                  These suffixes are highly productive, which means that, theoretically, you ought to feel free to construct the appropriate adjective out of some verb or root plus the suffix, even when your dictionary fails to show the completed form. Both suffixes mean 'capable of ____ing', 'susceptible of____ing', 'fit for _____ing', or 'able to be ____ed', and both are ultimately derived from Latin, -able from forms with abilis and -ible from forms with ibilis. Both suffixes also passed into English through Old French, and one comes from Latin verbs with infinitives in -are and the other from Latin verbs with infinitives in -ere or -ire. -able also forms adjectives from nouns, like pleasurable, meaning 'inclined to pleasure'. But the fact remains that knowing all this is of very little practical help in individual cases, especially when you're ready to tear your hair and fling your dictionary to the other side of the room. Which one is it?!
                  As with so many things in language, there is no guaranteed solution. But there are a couple of hints with which you can try to balance the odds of getting it right.
                  (1): -able is often used after a full verb (although sometimes a final -e is dropped from the verb before the suffix is added): approachable, addable, teachable, photographable, acquirable. In contrast, -ible is often used after roots: credible, visible, permissible.
                  (2): Frequently, the -able spelling is correct when there are related derived forms with suffixes starting in -a, and the -ible spelling is similarly part of a group where other suffixes start with -i. For example, -able words may be related to words with -ance or -ation.Thus acceptable has acceptance; accusable has accusation; and applicable has application. The -ible words often have -ive or -ion related forms. Thus combustion, permissive, and audio hint at combustible, permissible, and audible.
                  Would that these tricks were infallible. (For example, borrowings from different forms in different languages lead to fallible but fallacy, and this would be a misleading pairing.) With some words, both suffixes have come into use (witness collectible/collectable above).
                  Many of you will find counterexamples for these two hints, but perhaps they can be a start.
                  --
                  Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• txteach
                    Banned
                    • Jun 17, 2005

No offense people but so what? It could be coulectubale for all I care.

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

I an weary of any organization collecting childhoods.

Comment

• hobub
                        Ghost of a Dead Indian
                        • Jun 18, 2001

Mego Trading cards received

I just got a message from the director of the Pittsburgh toy show....

Hi Len, please let Brian know that I received a box of the Mego Cards today and I'll take care of the rest. Please also tell him I said thank you.

So they will be included in the give-aways.

I think this is a great step in Mego-izing toy collectible shows.

Hope to see some of you there.

Comment

• megomonkey
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 24, 2002

Originally posted by ABMAC
                          New dictionary editors are afraid they'll offend the ignorant.
                          It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.

Andrew Jackson

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎