X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

need your help: old toy info

Ok I am currently 34 years old (ewwww). When I was much younger (assume the years 1979-1982) their was a popular toy collection out I need some help with identifying.
    Now I can swear it was called "pixel sticks" and I know (or pretty sure) it was made by a major toy company as one of the sets was based on Marvel/DC comic characters.
    Here is what it was: they were colored sticks (like red, green, yellow, etc) that you could attach to each other and build a number of various things. For example, lets say you made a building. The toy pipes looked like a skeleton version without the actual walls being placed on, kind of like an erector set.
    At any rate this was popular at the time and they had some sets with Marvel characters. The Characters themselves were stickers applied to a small square plastic piece (similar to a board game token). Some of these pieces though had clips which would enable them to hang onto the pipe structures you made.
    The set I had was called "World of Masu" (or something very close to that). This was a space monster set and you constructed Masu who resembled a giant turtle. The head and claws were a real monster and just attached to the pipe frame body.
    Does anyone recall or remember anything about this toy line at all? I am sure I might have the name wrong of either the set I had or the actual line itself, but it has been driving me nuts for a number of years. If anyone can help out I will forever be in your debt. thanks again--

PS: I just found a pic of plastic tinker toys and these look very similar to what I remember. Did tinker toys ever make such "action" sets as I described above?
    Last edited by mazinz; Aug 16, '08, 5:35 PM. Reason: updated info
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Are you thinking of K'NEX?

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

re

Thanks for the reply, but no this was much, much older than that toy line.

I had this set (Masu) when I was either in first/second grade (1980/81 though just to be safe I am not ruling out having this toy set in 79). I had found out about it from commercials on tv at that time. An old friend down the road had the super hero version of the same toy line. I know Gabriel took over the tinker toy lines briefly in the end of the 70's to early 80's and if it was tinker toys then this might have been made by them. If it was not tinker toys then it was a somewhat direct rip-off of them.

Masu itself was purplish in color if memory serves correct and came with two astronaut figures (well standard block plastic with stickers). I loved this set because it was the closest toy I had that came close to resembling Gamera.
      Last edited by mazinz; Jul 3, '07, 12:28 AM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

just bumping an older topic as more people have come along since I made this post. No one seems to know what this is regardless of where I post it, and no it is not my imagination

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Fiddlesticks?

Fiddlesticks 251 piece set, Batman, Superman, Hulk 1979 - eBay (item 120289932085 end time Aug-08-08 1105 PDT)
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2007

Virtual Toy Chest's FiddleSticks Archive has Hulk, Spiderman and Superman sets. They are more like pipes.

The Tinker Toys rip was called Fiddlestix.
            Last edited by ShadowAvenger; Aug 16, '08, 1:43 AM.
            Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, BOTH!!!!

I have been searching for anything roughly from this line or something that one could remember. No one has ever came through. This has been raking my brain for the past 20 something years and all it took was a bump post to get two responses.

So I was somewhat close in recalling the line. I thought it was pixel sticks or pickupsticks and if you say it kind of fast, pixelsticks kind of sounds like fiddlesticks to a degree (well maybe that is just me then)

This had to be the toy line!!! The Ebay set listed in Scotta's post was the set my friends had down the road. The set I refer to had to have been from this line. I just did an ebay search and nothing is up now. Did you two just remember this toyline or did it actually show up on google? I did a number of searches for tinker toy ripoffs and the like with no results. Now at least I have a toyline name to go by

You have no idea how happy this has made me. Thanks again---
              Last edited by mazinz; Aug 16, '08, 5:21 PM.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                • Oct 8, 2007

Nice work fellas. I haven't seen a toy question come up yet that someone couldn't answer. Amazing.
                "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

FOUND!! Set was called world of mazu (i was very close with masu).

some foreign ebay site and a trip to google (doing fiddlesticks knickerbocker search)

http://cgi.ebay.es/1980-KNICKERBOCKE...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

I remembered this from way back because of the little plastic hero pieces. For some reason they have always stuck in my mind. I wouldn't mind a set but I've never pursued it and according to the link they don't seem to be real expensive.

Glad I could help. I don't know everything toy related but I have my moments.
                    Last edited by ScottA; Aug 19, '08, 9:51 AM.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎