X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • English Paul
    Archive cased.
    • Aug 17, 2005

Is anybody here clued up on LCD TVs?

I have the chance to buy a 2ndhand JVC LCD TV as a neighbour is emigrating. It was a very expensive TV and she doesn't want a lot for it. The problem is that the top half of the screen appears darker than the bottom and no amount of colour settings can change it.
    It looks like a fault, but does anybody know if it is a quick fix or would I be best leaving it well alone?

Thanks.
    "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Found the answer below to a similar problem with another TV manufacturer online. Hope it helps. Does the problem resolve after the TV "warms up"? I have found a couple of instances that friends had newer TV's that seemed to be fine after they were on for a while. I have a Sanyo tube TV myself that is black & white for about 10 minutes or so and then you turn it off and back on and it's perfect color. Only a problem until you shut it off for an extended period of time, then you need to go through the process all over again. CG

"Sounds like you've lost part of your LCD imager. Could be a defect in the LCD panel itself or part of the digital driver section."
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I had a problem like that on an older big screen TV not LCD...and it wasn't to expensive but it did require to pull the TV apart.I can only imagine it be a lot more difficult on an LCD,just call a local TV repair guy and ask over the phone.I don't think it's worth getting into that when you can get a new one these days for about $500-$800
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jimbutsu
        Memory *is* RAM!
        • Apr 11, 2002

Sounds like the backlight might be bad if it's LCD.
        "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Surfsup
          Silver Chrome Dome
          • Dec 2, 2005

I'd leave it alone Paul to be honest. It's a defect.

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

I would have to say with the announcement today of how bad holiday sales were and assuming things are the same across the pond, we will be seeing a number of big sales coming from retailers in the upcoming weeks. You may be able to land a new LCD for a very affordable price. The 32 inch I bought for $399 at Best Buy which was a pretty good deal at the time has been priced there twice since Christmas in weekly sales flyers. They obviously didn't sell all the ones they had and still need to move some supply. I've noticed some good pricing on LCD computer monitors 19 inches and up as well, so those probably weren't as popular as they thought they would be for the holidays. Macy's just announced they're closing 9 more stores mostly in the mid west it seemed. Tough time right now to be in retail. I don't expect Circuit City to last the year though their sales weren't down as much as some. Clothing stores like AF and Aeropostale seemed to be hit worst. They were down like 25-35% if I remember correctly.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• English Paul
              Archive cased.
              • Aug 17, 2005

Just to update you. I left it alone - It wasn't worth the gamble and a repair could have been very expensive considering how much new ones are.

Thanks for your input guys.
              "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎