X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

The Notorious Betty Page

I rented the Notorious Betty Page. Has anyone else seen it?

I was prepared to see it in theatres but it semed to go straight to video. The film I think falls a bit short. There's much of Betty's life not covered after she gave up posing. They also seem to present the hearings on Betty's phtots but hold back on the real meat of the debate. The film still has a lot of style and artistic merrit. There are nice switches between B&W and techniocolor sequences.

I can't tell you how beautiful Gretchen Mol is as a brunette. I didn't think she could pull off Betty Page. I've never seen or heard the real Betty Page in a film to compare but I think she did an excellent job. She is a very close match for Betty.

Perhaps John Waters would have done a better bang-up job with this subject matter. It's still a good film but I kind'a wanted to know more about her life. They could've had a real documentAry made on this but the featurette on the DVD is a bit on the light side too.
    Last edited by johnmiic; Jul 2, '07, 10:36 PM.
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

There's the real Betty Page posing in a short color footage in the special features of the DVD.

I agree with everything you said, right on the money.

The lovely Page is still alive, and I hear she's in great shape for someone her age.

Originally posted by johnmiic
    Perhaps John Waters would have done a better bang-up job with this subject matter..
    Except for that part, good grief, no man, not Waters, I don't wanna see Page eating doggie poop.

Last edited by Hector; Jul 2, '07, 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I'm a Huge Bettie Page fan....and was a contributer to The Bettie Pages and Tease magazines published by Greg Theakston back in the late 80's and early 90's....Bettie has a very thick southern accent I have an interview in my collection somewhere.She appeared in many Irving Klaw short film clips mostly her dancing and there were Burlesque style films she also appeared in.

I wanted to see the movie also when It was coming out but Faster than light it came and went I haven't actively seeked it out now that you remind me I will.She is an incredible Iconic image you can't believe how many women imitate her.

Bettie page today

Classic Bettie
      Last edited by kingdom warrior; Jul 2, '07, 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

That's Betty today?!?!? I thought she swore she would never be photographed in old age?

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

That picture was taken in 1998 (alongside Hugh Hefner), she's 84 now.

I just realized I was misspelling her name.

Last edited by Hector; Jul 2, '07, 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
            That picture was taken in 1998 (alongside Hugh Hefner), she's 84 now.

I just realized I was misspelling her name.

I should've said most recent lol! I can't find a now one but you get the Idea....

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

There was an interview with her in Playboy earlier this year.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I just rented it too. Gretchen was great, but the movie did seem to gloss over some of the details of her life. I did enjoy the tecnicolor Miami beach scenes.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

She still looks like herself in that pic. In fact she still has that beautiful face of hers. I'd like to think if I saw her walking down the street in NY I would recognize her.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎