X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPkempo
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 17, 2001

DTV converter box

In mid Febuary The USA will be going all digital TV so old TVs will need a converter box.
    I got 2 and my dad got 2 I used one no problem on a tv I seldom use no problem.
    Well I went over my parent’s house and my dad had tried to put one on an old TV and couldn't figure it out. It was an old TV that had screws on the back to attach the antenna wire. We got a little converter piece and I was able to fixit for him no problem.

But he raised a good point many if not most of these boxes will go to old timers and they will have a very hard time fixing this box to there TV.
    Looks like even if they got the box we may have many people who will have no TV when the conversion happens because they can't figure it out.
    Last edited by JPkempo; Jan 5, '09, 11:50 AM.
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Remember, just becuz you have an "old TV" doesn't mean you need a converter box. If the old TV in question is connected to cable or satellite TV, it'll continue to work just fine w/out a converter. Only people using an antenna on the roof or rabbit ears need converters.
    Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 5, '09, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

We have a local TV station here in NW Pa.
      FMZ 69

They've been running hour long informericals on this.
      They break it down really easy from why people need this, how to get the box and how to install it.
      It's an hour show and they run it in the mornings.

More TV stations should do programs like this for the old people.
      and do them NOW, before it's too late.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

I thought there was also a phone number that people could call with people on the other end who would help you trouble shoot if you need help hooking it up.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Our local PBS station, KET is running a similar show.

I have Direct TV as well as a new HD TV so I'm all set personally.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• JPkempo
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 17, 2001

Dad has Vios on the 3 TVs he and mom use all the time, there all HD tvs but like many of us there are the Tvs that are seldom used but nice to have.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

I have to get my mom one,I'm glad I have an HD TV
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I gotta get one yet. The local stations are already adding new channels here. There's a over the air oldies one from the NBC affiliate that already crushes TVland with its line up.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  I gotta get one yet. The local stations are already adding new channels here. There's a over the air oldies one from the NBC affiliate that already crushes TVland with its line up.
                  Do these new channels get added to the cable line up or is it just over the air?

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• RG
                    Removed.
                    • Oct 1, 2004

another thing that sucks ... are people like me who are just on the edge ... I have to get some kind of antana amplifier doo-hicky thinging bob ... because with this DTV stuff it's all or nothing in getting the signal. One min. the show is super clear next... it's gone all together

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                      valar morghulis
                      • Mar 8, 2005

To those who still have yet to buy a converter, I hope you already ordered or received your $40 coupon, cuz you're pretty much screwed if you haven't. The govt coupon budget has now been used up.

Digital Converter Box Coupons All Gone | homemediamagazine.com

I have a small upstairs bedroom TV that I use rabbit ears with, since my upstairs isn't wired for cable. Like RussG, I'm expecting to have issues with the converter, since I'm in between the metro areas the signals originate from. 30 miles to the east for one area, about 50 miles to the west for the other. Analog signals come in better some days than others, but I'm not sure any of them will be strong enuff to allow for the digital conversion.

I'm probably gonna end up just wiring the cable to the upstairs.
                      Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 5, '09, 8:59 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Ordered mine a couple weeks ago, so hopefully its still on its way.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                          To Fear is Not Logical...
                          • Feb 17, 2008

another thing that sucks ... are people like me who are just on the edge ... I have to get some kind of antana amplifier doo-hicky thinging bob ... because with this DTV stuff it's all or nothing in getting the signal. One min. the show is super clear next... it's gone all together
                          Russ, I'm getting the same problem with some of our channels here. Looks bad aesthetically, but a little aluminum foil helps sometimes.

Steve
                          It's all good!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

I got one for my parents for Christmas. I think they will appreciate it more when the switchover happens...don't know when that will be in Australia but it's meant to be sometime this year.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎