• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vman
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 26, 2006

Need help with mixing paint for flesh color

Hi everyone,

I read Dave's tutorial on painting but I just can't seem to get a good flesh color. I'm probably adding too much of a certain color.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    - Bill
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Don't add so much of that one that makes it too whatever.

Comment

• Spyweb007
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 18, 2006

Try mixing a tiny drop of brown paint with a bigger bit of white paint, I usually have good results this way.

Comment

• vman
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 26, 2006

According to the tutorial, it says to use the Flesh color (peachy color), brown, yellow and red. Should I be using a little bit of all these colors?

As soon as I drop some red into the mix, it goes toward the pinkish color.

It sounds like the brown and white should work though.
        - Bill

Comment

• Merlyn1976
          Fist of Khonshu
          • Mar 29, 2005

I use a dark brown(2 parts)...light yellow(1 part)...and white(2 parts) and a dab of red...works good for me...
          "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I still haven't been able to successfully mix THE Mego Flesh color.But I have come up with one I'm happy with...and it's easy to mix. I use "Citadel Colour"...Elf-Flesh & Dwarf-Flesh, and mix it 50/50.
            sigpic

Comment

• REMOVED
              • Mar 19, 2024

Hi there. The original Mego male bodies have a lot of yellow in them.... Always use the red very sparingly...

If you are trying to match a ctv body, they are quite gray so you will have to add a bit of black too.................

What kind of paints are you using?

I have good luck starting with the white color and then adding to it.....

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Had that problem as well so now I just order heads in flesh color from the Dr. and place them in a heated brown BPI die for 5 seconds.I know its cheating but you just can not beat the perfect match.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

When I mix t shirt paint and run out of peach I use pink, white and a touch of orange.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Dave Mc
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 20, 2002

I start with that store bought flesh that looks peachy. It's just called "Flesh". I add enough brown to get the darkness/lightness right. I use a mego body to judge this. If it get's a little too dark, add more of the flesh. I usually mix up about half a bottle at a time, so I start with adding about 1/4 bottle of the flesh, and a 1/4 bottle of the brown. That leaves me room in the new bottle to add more paint to get the color right.

Once I get the lightness right, I add yellow. Not tons. Probably about 10 drops. Then I add about 5 drops of red. Mix it up good and paint a little on a type 2 body. You should be able to tell what you need from there. If it looks too red, add more yellow. If it looks too yellow, add more red. Just add a little at a time, just a couple drops will change the color a bit. This will change the lightness about as well. Might make it a little dark. If you find you have a good color mix happening, but it is a little dark, add just a bit of white to lighten it. Just keep playing until you get it right. Took me an hour the first time I did it.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Or...You could do what do(when I can afford it)...send Your's Head's to Dave Mc for Him to paint!

I don't mind doing My own painting on the Superhero's...but when it comes to real People, I want it to look like that Person...Dave Mc's THE BEST!
                      sigpic

Comment

• vman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 26, 2006

I can defiantly vouch that Dave Mc is the best. I am a steady customer.

I just wanted to dive in a little to see if I can expand my creativity

Thanks for the tips guys, I tried a few combinations and I see a huge difference.

Thanks again
                        - Bill

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If you're not looking for too much by way of special effects on your head, Testors makes a colour called "wood" that matches a Mego body pretty well. Lighten with a touch of white for a CTVT bod.

If you're using acrylics there are a few ways to get a good colour. For heads with less detail or less pronounced features paint them solid with whatever colour you want. If you can't find a good match start with a medium tan. Slowly add white 'til you get a colour that's pretty close and add a smidge of red. (The red'll bring the chroma up to that of the body.) For heads with a fair amount of detail, I usually paint 'em a pale flesh, do a wash of a dark red/brown, and then drybrush up to the colour I want with a darker shade of caucasian. For monsters I'll usually do tin drybrushing around the eyes and mouth. Gives 'em a nice bruised, blood pooled flesh look.

Don C.

Comment

• megojim
                            Permanent Member
                            • Oct 13, 2001

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                            First of all, if you are using acryl paint like Americana, FolkArt, Model Master, ect, there are about 6-12 different flesh tones and flesh shades availabe right out of the bottle. What I do and suggest is to simply start with a flesh close to what you want and just lighten or darken it to bring it into the right color.
                            What he said . . . don't over complicate the process. There are MANY fleshtones premixed that will do just fine and as john said you can bring those up or down as need be. No need to mix 4 or five colors at all.
                            -jim
                            My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• vman
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                              Hmmmm....

If you're not looking for too much by way of special effects on your head, Testors makes a colour called "wood" that matches a Mego body pretty well. Lighten with a touch of white for a CTVT bod.

Don C.
                              Will Testors work well on resin heads? I've been using acrylics.
                              - Bill

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎