X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merlyn1976
    Fist of Khonshu
    • Mar 29, 2005

Sandman

William Baker was born in Queens, New York. At the age of three, young Billy was abandoned by his uncaring father and forced to live in poverty with his mother, who worked as a cleaning lady for a meager salary, and as a result, succumbed to alcoholism. Because she could not provide luxuries for young Billy, she sometimes took him to Coney Island beach, where Billy relished creating sand sculptures. He also enjoyed sculpting and working with sand in school, where he was encouraged by his teacher, Miss Flint, on whom he had a crush.

Billy was bullied by a boy named Vic and his two other friends at school, until he learned how to fight, inspired by his observations of the sand and water at the beach, to use a technique in which he used his opponents’ motion against them, “slipping through their fingers like sand”. After this, Vic and the other two bullies now became Billy’s friends all the way through high school, during which Billy channeled his anger through football, and adopted the nickname “Flint”, both because it sounded imposing and because it reminded him of Miss Flint. He also turned to theft and cheating to get through class and make ends meet at home.

After Vic incurred a large debt to the mob, he begged Flint to throw a football game in order to pay off the debt. After doing so, Flint’s coach threw him off the team, telling him that he had thought Flint would “make a mark” on the world, but that he now saw that Flint would never accomplish anything. Flint beat up the coach, and was expelled from school, after which he turned to a life of crime, and soon found work as a mob enforcer. He became involved in more and more illegal activity, and slowly developed a violent and bitter personality. Eventually he ended up imprisoned on Ryker's Island for his crimes, where he met his father, Floyd Baker. He befriended his father, but didn’t reveal who he was, giving only his nickname, Flint, and a false surname, Marko, which was inspired by his former coach’s taunts about “making a mark” on the world, and which would become his regular alias. (He also changed his name to prevent his mother from discovering that her son was a criminal.) Marko spent years in and out of jail, which was made bearable only by the presence of his father. After Floyd was released from prison, Marko decided to escape.

Immediately, he fled to a nuclear testing site on a beach near Savannah, Georgia where he came into contact with sand that had been irradiated by an experimental reactor. His body and the radioactive sand bonded, and Marko's molecular structure was altered into a sand/dirt-like substance that could transform any or all of his body into sand. Impressed, he adopted the name Sandman to match his new powers.

• Leitner suit and head
    • Original T2 body
    • Hand by me
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

• The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

he looks great!
    sigpic

Comment

• Megospidey
      Museum Webslinger
      • Jul 26, 2006

Superb Sandman! You know what a sucker I am for the spidey villains, and he's a keeper! Love him - great work

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Really nice and very Mego-y!!! Love him, Paul!
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• YANOULI
          Part-Time Timelord
          • Jan 9, 2006

nice one paul!
          " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Great job bro, you absolutely nailed him
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

Like him alot. Makes me think I need to finish my Sandman, which has been in pieces in my to do box for over a year.

Comment

• mego boy CA
                megos are FUN!!
                • Mar 30, 2006

Looks like it was made by mego. great job!
                sigpic
                "To The Batmobile!"
                "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• vman
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 26, 2006

Awsome Job Paul. How did you do the hand?

I want one too
                  - Bill

Comment

• Merlyn1976
                    Fist of Khonshu
                    • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by vman
                    Awsome Job Paul. How did you do the hand?
                    I formed it in sculpy and dipped it in sand....BlacKryptonite molded and cast it for me....he has more on his site if you'd like one....

Thanks for the words guys....but all I did was some painting....the props belong to Brian Leitner....that suit is incredible....and the headsculpt isn't to shabby either
                    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Very nice. I've got that same head on mine.

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                        Vet.
                        • May 22, 2007

Hey good looking Sandman...The figure really captures the look of the charactor. The hand was a nice touch

Comment

• KosmiCKennY
                          Igo ugo we all go 4 mego!
                          • May 13, 2004

Nice one Paul! He is on my to-do list as well and I think I will have to try and get one of those heads from BL, it looks dead on

Comment

• ABMAC
                            User
                            • May 16, 2002

I actually thought you pushed his hand into a packing peanut.

Comment

• Wolverine1969
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 7, 2005

That's a character rarely done and you captured him brilliantly!
                              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎