X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Movie critic Joel Siegel dies

I had not even heard he had cancer. Not only a Movie critic but was a friend of John Lennon's I think:

• toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

wow that's sad

Rip buddy
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• mitchedwards
      Mego Preservation Society
      • May 2, 2003

Wow.... Never knew he was sick.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

While I haven't seen the guy on TV in years, I always appreciated his crtiques, more than most critics. He seemed to be able to enjoy a movie for what it was and not compare Dumb N Dumber to Schindler's List. He had a more everyman approach to his movie-viewing than most professional critics.

Rest in Peace.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• RG
          Removed.
          • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I always appreciated his crtiques, more than most critics. He seemed to be able to enjoy a movie for what it was and not compare Dumb N Dumber to Schindler's List. He had a more everyman approach to his movie-viewing than most professional critics.

I thought the same way about his crtiques.

I had heard he had canser, but I thought he had beat it. Now thinking about it he hadn't been on TV for quite some time.

May he Rest in Peace

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Joel had been here, at WABC in New York, since the 70's. He joined ABC network in the early 80's and had been workling for both of us ever since. He was diagnosed with cancer in 1997, the very day he found out his wife was pregnant with their first child, Dylan. He had 3 relapses of cancer, but ultimately it was an infection that his body could not battle that caused his death.

On a different note, I think Joel is another example of old-school TV personality. He came to TV when an anchor or reporter could be seen by 40% of the TV audience. Now you're considered a hit if you can get half of that. TV is not the common language it once was.

I didn't always agree with Joel about each movie, but we always shared a love for movies. And that was a distinction for Joel- movies rather than film. Don't get me wrong, he loved a well-crafted artful film, but he understood the importance of fun shoot-em up or a goofy romantic comedy. He would see the movies he was to review and then spend his "off" days catching other flicks. He sincerely loved the movies.

BTW, the last movie he saw, Ratatouille, he loved it.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎