X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Type3Toys
    Home Of The Type3 Body
    • Jan 18, 2005

The Original Lugosi Version Dracula

I watched this dvd today and cant get over how trully fantastic this film is.
    In todays market, with all the blood and effects, this 1930's film still holds up, IMO. Although it shows little gore, it is still a scary film. What is implied in this movie is just as frightening as what can be made to look real in todays movies. I love some of the classic lines Bela has, "I never drink...wine" or
    "children of the night, what music they make", or "there are far worse things awaiting man than death". They just go on and on!
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

It is an amazing film.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

His eyes, the music, his lines, ... it all makes this such a scary movie. The way they did it, is brilliant
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Overall, the Spanish language version is technically superior (richer shadows, better camera angles, superior editing, etc...), and it's a lot more risqué (the women, lol)...however, because of Bela Lugosi, and Bela Lugosi only...the English language Dracula trumps the Spanish one...I just hated Carlos "chubby little fingers" Villarías as Dracula (overacting galore)...I thought he was just comical...not mesmerizing like Lugosi.

Villarías...and his stubby little hands...

Bela Lugosi...and his amazing...creepy...and long elegant fingers...

Last edited by Hector; Dec 30, '08, 4:39 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Although I find Max Schreck as Nosferatu creepier than Bela Lugosi's Dracula...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Big fan of both films.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I find it beyond amazing that the leading lady, Lupita Tovar...of the 1931 Spanish language Dracula...is still alive...WOW...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupita_Tovar

Lupita has a daughter, Susan Kohner, who was nominated for an Oscar before Kohner retired in 1964 to marry designer John Weitz. Also, her grandchildren, Chris and Paul Weitz, are successful film directors in Hollywood, having helmed films such as American Pie, Antz, The Nutty Professor, and About a Boy.

Wow...from Dracula to the American Pie connection, lol.

Here she is last year...

That's a GREAT-looking 97 year old!!!

Last edited by Hector; Dec 30, '08, 4:58 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                Formerly known as Del
                • Dec 12, 2004

Is the Spanish language version available with subtitles? Now I want to watch it just to see the differences. Is the dialogue pretty much the same? If it is, I could probably watch it without.
                Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• ramsey37
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by del
                  Is the Spanish language version available with subtitles? Now I want to watch it just to see the differences. Is the dialogue pretty much the same? If it is, I could probably watch it without.
                  The Spanish Dracula is available as part of Universal's Dracula Legacy set and is subtitled.
                  George

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by del
                      Check this out, Del...

YouTube - Dracula: The Superior 1931 Vampire Classic

sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                        Overall, the Spanish language version is technically superior (richer shadows, better camera angles, superior editing, etc...), and it's a lot more risqué (the women, lol)...however, because of Bela Lugosi, and Bela Lugosi only...the English language Dracula trumps the Spanish one...I just hated Carlos "chubby little fingers" Villarías as Dracula (overacting galore)...I thought he was just comical...not mesmerizing like Lugosi.

Villarías...and his stubby little hands...
                        BocaDoInferno.com - Make an Offer if you want to buy this domain. Your purchase is secured by Epik.

Bela Lugosi...and his amazing...creepy...and long elegant fingers...

Agree The Spanish version is spectacular to see but Lugosi is the reason the American version is remembered. had lugosi starred in the Spanish version we wold be speaking of that movie even more today.

There is an Ultimate version of Dracula which includes the Spanish language version. A Must have For Dracula fans

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

By The way Mexican Cinema during that time and up to the sixties easily Rivaled Hollywood for quality Movies and Stars. If Fell apart when the studio system came to an end.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Agreed.

Although big guns like Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuarón, and Alejandro González Iñárritu...are bringing back pride back to Mexican cinema.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                              Agree The Spanish version is spectacular to see but Lugosi is the reason the American version is remembered. had lugosi starred in the Spanish version we wold be speaking of that movie even more today.

There is an Ultimate version of Dracula which includes the Spanish language version. A Must have For Dracula fans
                              My favorite DVD box set...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎