X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Megocon?

While surfing the net I came across something called megocon. Does this still happen? The last evidence I could find of it was in 2004. It was done in New york and it sounded like a big event. Can someone shed light about it? I hope I'm not opening a can of worms.
  • mego boy CA
    megos are FUN!!
    • Mar 30, 2006

not sure but i think it's held with the comicon in san diego, ca. which will take place at the end of july. i think it's the same megocon your talking about.
    sigpic
    "To The Batmobile!"
    "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• bobbait
      What, me worry?
      • Jun 9, 2005

sigpic

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

Boy I have to check the nooks and crannies of the museum. That looks like it was a blast. Did this morph into megomeet?

Comment

• ABMAC
          User
          • May 16, 2002

When we started making plans to have another get-together after Megocon, the creep who co-organized the event (and takes ALL the credit whenever possible) claimed to have copyrighted the name, so we renamed it, filled our socks with bars of soap, and invited him to join us. He has so far declined to make an appearance.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Megocon does not interest me in the least, MegoMeet on the other hand, man, I have to make it next year.

sigpic

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by txteach
              While surfing the net I came across something called megocon. Does this still happen? The last evidence I could find of it was in 2004. It was done in New york and it sounded like a big event. Can someone shed light about it? I hope I'm not opening a can of worms.
              For some reason---even years afterwards---it still does open some "cans"
              ----hopefully, soon it'll be less "can opening"

Any Mego meeting is cool

I'd like to see more

One of these days a "West Coast" Mego get-together might happen

I'd love that
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

There were two Megocons, unrelated save for the names. The first one was in Ohio, I wish I had attended. The second in New York which featured Marty Abrams and Neal Kublan, it was the first real time I got to meet a bunch of museum members in the flesh, I think about a 100 folks attended.

Our own Chris Johnson was the co-chair of this event and he put a lot of time and money I'm sure he never got back into it. I had a great time and felt treated very well at Megocon, it was very positive and I'm happy it gave everyone a taste for such things. I made actual friendships from that event.

I've got to see the same folks every June for four years, that's pretty damned cool.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

The first was in my hometown in 1997 I think it was. I wasn't into mego then. Figures. The 2nd was held in NYC and was co-organized by our own Chris DVM. (as Brian said). It was heavily supported by this community though, and when Chris said there were no plans for another in the near future, we started talking about doing another event, more to get together than anything else. Since we were asked us not to use the Megocon name, we created MegoMeet, and have been doing it annually ever since. To my knowledge there have been no other "Megocon's" since 2004.

Comment

• Hulk
                    Mayor of Megoville
                    • May 10, 2003

MegoCon was a once in a lifetime event, inspired by the members of this community. It definitely would not have happened without serious commitment and effort of Chris and the other guy. However it would not have been the event it was without the hard work of all the contributors and a lot of behind the scenes and mostly uncredited efforts of many.

MegoMeet took all of that effort and turned the idea into the community event it was always envisioned as, and is an event I proudly attend and support every year. Besides the fact that the event itself would not be what it is without the diligent effort of the previous green skinned avatar poster, there is no doubt that there is a level of contribution and support within the community that is not only recognized, but celebrated. That is one BIG reason why I go every year.

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by ABMAC
                      When we started making plans to have another get-together after Megocon, the creep who co-organized the event (and takes ALL the credit whenever possible) claimed to have copyrighted the name, so we renamed it, filled our socks with bars of soap, and invited him to join us. He has so far declined to make an appearance.
                      What's the point in copyrighting a name if you're not gonna do anything with it? And did he really copyright it or was he merely bluffing?
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ he just did it to be a tool.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hulk
                          Mayor of Megoville
                          • May 10, 2003

A copyright is for "original works of authorship", so the closest anyone could actually come to copyrighting the name would be DaveMc for putting together the MegoCon DVD. The name could have easily been reused for MegoMeet, but since the purpose of the event was more community driven, it was a better choice, especially starting fresh without any association with someone clearly not interested in the community. Let me clarify that I am NOT talking about ChrisDVM, who clearly has been a major part of both events.

Comment

• Chris DVM
                            Veterinarian Member
                            • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
                            Thanks for the kudos, guys. It was a big event, lots of work, very very expensive, but in the end, well worth it.
                            It was the first time for me that I was able to meet a large group of Mego collectors and enthusiasts. I had talked to almost all of them over the years on the board, but never got to put a face to the type. MegoCon was the way that that happened, and of all the things out of it, that was the one that was the most important.
                            What I am even more proud of, however, was that it was the spark that started MegoMeet. After MegoCon, I was burned out and emotionally and fiancially drained. I had nothing left in me to do anything at all. Luckily, DaveMC and others were able to take the fire that started and continue it. I am lucky that I am able to support and help out in my way with MegoMeet now.
                            In addition, as far as the name, whatever the reason for it, I am glad it got changed to MegoMeet. MegoCon was just that - a huge venture that created a true Mego Convention, but one that did not lend itself very well to close quarter talking and small personal trades and interactions. MegoMeet has done that, and, although they are two different animals completely, I quite like the MegoMeet idea more than the MegoCon. Talking until 4 in the morning, the smaller venue that is ours completely for a couple of days, the ability to manuever easier and quicker at the Kruger Museum - I think that embodies (at least to me) much more of a sense of community and friendship than a huge Con. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade my memories or trials of MegoCon for anything. However, between the two, I would much rather either plan or go to a MegoMeet every year than a MegoCon every year.
                            Chris DVM
                            "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I went to the first Megocon in Toledo. It was actually MegoCon and MicroCon, a convention for Micronauts collectors. The promoters, Men In Black (not Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones) had in previous years put on the Transfomers-themed BotCons. I think someone else took that over that year, so they went with another Takara-originated toy, Micronauts. Although I was very green and unknowledgeable in my Mego collecting, the actual non-Micronaut product was pretty sparse. If Mark Huckabone hadn't shown up, it wouldn't have been worth much of my drive, as far as the dealers go. There were some cool presentations, but unfortunately, my Mego ignorance caused me to dismiss them.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎