X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

All hail the CARDBOARD BOX!

Ahhh the possibilties...a good appliance box could be anything...a ship, a store, McDonald's drive thru, a fort....

What are some of your cardboard box memories?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I collect these, in my warehouse I have 10,000 mint, unplayed with examples.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego boy CA
      megos are FUN!!
      • Mar 30, 2006

didn't use them as a means of toys or playing. but used them for break dancing, way back in da' days!
      sigpic
      "To The Batmobile!"
      "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

• jwyblejr
        galactic yo-yo
        • Apr 6, 2006

Only thing I remember doing with one was pretend I was Oscar the Grouch. Would pop out every now and again when people would walk by and yell"Gcram! Go away!" Of Course,nowadays I do that without the aid of a cardboard box.

Comment

• Zemo
          Still Smokin'
          • Feb 14, 2006

For me it was folding them flat and flying down the grass sides of a draw bridge.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

I bought cardboard when it was 3 cents a ton. Now it's up to 5 cents. I bought 4 tons of it. The only problem is I have to keep it at my house.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I suspect you've all seen what I do with cardboard boxes.

...and still the city grows. Soon the town clock will be ready....

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Don't know how these 2 things co-incided but I recall having a large cardboard box and dozens of laundry detergent bottle caps. I decorated the box as the Galactica Bridge, ( with a upper level command deck), and cut open the deep bottle caps as chairs so my figures could sit at their stations. Then I closed off 1/3 of the rear section as the launch bay.

If I remember correctly I used the Mego Batmobile as a stand in for the Galactica Shuttle. I wish I had pics of it because it was very impressive for a child to have made at that time. I remember it vividly and could probably re-build it tho I have no room now to keep it.

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

batcave batmans house. bad guys hideout . me and ric made all kinds of things withthem they acessrise great with barbie's stereo and furniture.

Comment

• Wolverine1969
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 7, 2005

That was my Hall of Justice. I added my Major Matt Mason console for the HOJ table and they were in business.
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

To me, the cardboard box was one of the greatest toys ever. It was the perfect accessory. Large appliance size boxes became my own apartment. With my trusty box of Crayolas, I drew in a stereo, TV, endtables, lamps, family photos. Always got a flashlight, b/c I had to keep my door closed. Smaller boxes became houses for my dolls, cars, wagons, baby carriages, stuff for Derry Daring to jump over. Really small boxes became doll furniture, suitcases, knapsacks (for dolls or action figures), all kinds of things. Today I can't look at a cardboard box and not think of the possiblities.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                        Removed.
                        • Jun 14, 2008

What a cool section this is in the mego museum forums.
                        Bringing back a lot of memories.
                        I grew up in a small village that had a Main St business district. Yeah, all the stores were OPEN when I was a kid, too! We had a Variety Store (5 & 10), drug store, dress shops, bank, post office, library, etc etc and a big hardware store (which is still open!).
                        Well, when I was a kid in the 70's and not playing with my GI JOes or Megos, we would periodically go across the street to the hardware store and hope that they had gotten a new refrigerator in or something so we could have the box. The catch was we had to take all the inserts too (the garbage!). In my backyard area it went way back to a cliff that had a creek running way down below. Grass field all the way and a small hill somewhat behind my house (100's of yards from the cliff). We would roll or slide down the hill in the box. Sometimes use it as a fort. When it got too beat up to play with, it went over the cliff! LOL
                        Yes, a little litterbug I guess.
                        Funny, none of us ever fell over the cliff yet we played near it every day. Not sure how far down it was and I don't think it was a sheer cliff (because I remember older kids climbing up it from below) but I'm sure you could get pretty hurt if you fell over.

Rich

Comment

• shyndman
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Aug 29, 2008

This thread brought back a lot of memories. Used to make forts and batcaves out of big sized boxes. Had to get my dad to use a utility knife to cut open doors and windows for me since I wasn't allowed to use the knife (guess my folks wanted me to keep my fingers intact). Also used to take a box and remove the top and bottom, and then roll down a hill inside the box. Got a lot of bruises and grass stains doing that, but boy was it fun.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎