X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

New "Tales from the Crypt" Comic

Anyone see the new TALES FROM THE CRYPT comic out? WHAT A FREAKIN' MESS! It's published by some independent company (name escapes me) that also publishes some Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew manga comics.

They utilize likenesses of the old EC style Crypt-Keeper, Vault-Keeper and Old Witch but the artwork is horrible. Cover was by Kyle Baker (who is usually good) but I wasn't impressed. All new stories, but the artwork is decidedly "un-EC". Hack like is more like it. Didn't even bother to read the stories (Hey my comic shop ain't a library! ).

Anyway it appears to be licensed by "William M. Gaines Agent, Inc." or something like that. When DC/Warner purchased MAD years ago didn't they purchase the rest of the EC library? Looks like they didn't (which would explain the Gladstone/Russ Cochran reprints in the meantime) but maybe they should have.

I've always loved the EC horror comics but this slop doesn't do them justice IMO. Bleech!
    Last edited by The Toyroom; Jul 1, '07, 10:15 AM.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Bionic Joe
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 10, 2006

i was under the impression that gladstone had the rights to all of EC's libiary except for mad

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Gladstone is reprinting the original 50's comics. When I first heard about a new TOC I was excited, hoping they would try to recapture the EC feel. Then I saw the art samples and gave up all hope. I think its geared towards the Goosebumps or Harry Potter type preteens.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

I'm Glad it's horrible I always felt that EC was way ahead of the game when it came to their books...I feel that nothing will ever recapture what they did.I'd rather just see quality reprints than new stuff.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎