• Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Can someone reccomend a good Dremel?

I'm looking to buy a Dremel tool to use for sanding on MEGO scale and five
    inch customs.

I just need a good basic model. I'm not real great with tools because I don't
    always have the dexterity in my hands that I should but I think I could handle
    this.

Can anyone reccomend a Dremel that is inexpensive and easy to use?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • spiderrogue
    new mego-er
    • Feb 3, 2008

the battery operated "Dremel" is pretty good for small stuff...i used to use it, but upgraded to the corded one(has more power and speed settings)....but for simple, use the battery one, there are a couple to choose from and usually start at around 25-30 bucks or so...if i remember correctly..

Comment

• Jerry68
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 12, 2008

My wife and kids gave me the cordless 10.8 lithium. This thing is awesome! My birthday ia around thanksgiving. I charged it the next day. I used it yesterday. The charge was still full and it still has a full charge. It comes with everything you need to start. I can't recomend this enough.
      sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Yeah,.. after owning both,.. I think the Chargable Dremel is worthless,.. but the Preacher would tell you differently.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Jerry68
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          Yeah,.. after owning both,.. I think the Chargable Dremel is worthless,.. but the Preacher would tell you differently.

The 10.8 I have goes up to 35,000 rpm has variable speed and kicks butt. I would compare this to the standard corded model myself. Blacknight does more than I do, but for me this is great!
          sigpic

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight

Not anymore BK. I'm not sold on the cordless dremel. I've gone through 2 of them (Dremel Stylus). They just quit on me...each one after about 2 months. One quit holding a charge, the other got resin dust down inside and messed up the motor. I love how you could hold them, but they just aren't durable enough.

I'm now using a corded Dremel 300 series (10 speeds) with the optional "arm" attachment. Love it. Have had no problems with it.

Comment

• spiderrogue
              new mego-er
              • Feb 3, 2008

^^it's the bee's knees..huh?

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Jerry68

The 10.8 I have goes up to 35,000 rpm has variable speed and kicks butt. I would compare this to the standard corded model myself. Blacknight does more than I do, but for me this is great!

Dremel out a Torso,.. & see How much life you have when you do that,.. & try & put together a Custom resin Body.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

Dremel is a brand, and the package their product from starter kits to bigger kits. I use a Sears Craftsman version that was a little less expensive. Mine is rechargable, but honestly, I'd rather have a plug in version. It seems my battery always dies when I need it most.

But to start out, especially if cost is an issue, you can usually find knockoff corded brands pretty cheap around now. I saw a knockoff with an entire kit of bits for $20 jut the other day. Look around K-mart type places if you're looking for cheap.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I've got the Black and Decker rotary tool. I like it a lot morethan the Dremel it replaced. Seems like its got more power to it.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

I have a super cheap one it is basically the same as dremel a corded.It has variable speeds(Way more power than I need) and is cheap as hell.On hi speed it will chew through a resin neck plug in mere seconds.It is a jobmate rotary tool.Had it for two years never had a problem.I will probably upgrade it to dremel or B&D in the next year or so.I was going to get a dremel but they were all sold out this one was basically the same and 1/3rd of the price.
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

My Dremel corded unit is quickly pushing the ten year mark, and has always worked well. I dont just use it for custom stuff, but for leatherwork, plumbing, cutting tiles, cutting rusty bolts...darn near anything you can think of.
                        For working on customs, I would recommend getting the drive arm attachment...its lighter and easier to control when working on fine details.
                        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I got a basic, corded Dremel. Works really well. I'd go with the cord just 'cos you might find yourself working on something particularly stubborn or complicated one day and the battery could conk out on you at an inopportune time.

Don C.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

As usual you people are quite a font of knowledge.

Thank you everyone for your comments. The information will really help.

I greatly appreciate the help.

Phil

Comment

• megocrazy
                              Museum Trouble Maker
                              • Feb 18, 2007

I have a rechargeable I use for light weight work and a Craftsman non variable corded for pounding out big stuff. heavy duty stuff will definately kill the battery on a rechargeable. If you don't discharge the battery fully before you recharge it the battery develops a "memory" and gets used to only having to run for a certain amount of time. That's true for any Ni-Cd or NiMh battery. The new lithium ion should be a lot more durable for that though I'm not as familiar with them. I would go with a corded for long life. The battery is what will die not the tool itself. Even my last one the switch broke so we hardwired it with a new switch from Radio Shack and I used it for a couple of more years before handing it down to my nephew. Craftsman version should definately be cheaper than the Dremel one but equal in quality. I would wait to see what comes up after Christmas. if sales are slow I expect stores to do some price chopping. Might find some good deals.
                              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎