• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

DON'T YOU HATE : ... speaking of phones

Speaking of phones .....

I dunno about your town, but lately in my town ---- about every second person has one of those Cyberman ear phone things that look like they're bolted to the left side of a person's head ......

These people just constantly walk around--- and it looks like there talking to themselves in public....

Do I just have an over imagination--- or have we entered the Age of Steel ?

BTW ?

WHY would anyone want to be on the phone at all time ?

AND,

Don't these people realize they look stupid ?

Rant over
  • Zemo
    Still Smokin'
    • Feb 14, 2006

Yes, they look very odd and they bug the carp out me of also. These peeps should be ticketed for being a stooge.

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

I'm torn because at least these people don't hold the phone up to their ears while they are driving, and for that reason, a bluetooth headset should come mandatory with every new phone. People do seem to think it is a license to hold the most intimate of conversations wherever they please though. It is pretty obnoxious to run around with the thing in your ear when you aren't even on the phone. Its like you are telling people they are only important enough to talk to until the someone more interesting calls them.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

What brought this on ....... I was just in Walmart this morning and a guy had these on and was talking while he was reaching over the cooler section picking out eggs ....

Another dude was talking to himself while out the checkout.....

Another dude was having a conversation while strolling through the shampoo isle.

It then dawned on me ....

It's a world wide conspiracy

It don't effect women though......

I never seen a lady with one of these on yet.

Comment

• RG
          Removed.
          • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by type1kirk

I never seen a lady with one of these on yet.

of course not ... it would mess up her hair ... she's gotta look good for the kid's soccer game

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Huh, you don't live in Oakland. There are ALWAYS women on these things!

Personally I hate cell phones, period! I have a work cell phone. (it belongs to my job, and they pay for it), but it gets turned off after hours. Occasionally I will use it on the w/e's if I'm outta town b/c my mom's in a wheelchair and I check on her, but that's it. I have a home phone (I will not say LAND LINE!), and that's what I use. I don't need to be reached all the time, anywhere. That's why I have voicemail, and e-mail. I hate seeing people walking around talking to themselves, or w/ a phone in their ear. Even my students think that it's essential to have a phone, and several of them (all under 12, mind you) have phones.

OK, I wanna go back. Who hid the keys to my time machine? I need to escape the madness!
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

I agree is Mr. Hulk. In the car, they should be mandatory. A lot of people make their living on the road, and for a salesman like that, this is a must.

However, when someone uses one out in public, it's creepy. First, I assume they are talking to me, and I always turn around. When I realize they are not talking to me, I start getting the creeps because it seems like they are chatting with voices they are hearing in their head. Then they turn and I see the damn bluetooth and think "putz".

Comment

• garagesale
                Dept. of Mego Studies
                • Aug 8, 2006

I've been really torn about getting one of these things. I get busy sometimes and I'm always looking for ways to save time. I've just been afraid that I would develop the inner-ear-addiction that some of these people around OKC (including women!) seem to have.

The big philosophical question for me is: To bluetooth or not to bluetooth: Is it giving up or getting ahead?

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• VintageMike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2004

Yeah, I've seen plenty of women with them here in NJ as well.
                  Do I think it's a bit much (other than when driving of course)? Yes. But I'n not a heavy cell user. I appreciate my cell phone and am happy it's there when needed.
                  What I do hate is that is that people will hold lengthy conversations in public places. If someone gets an important call fine, then go outside. I don't need to here it. When I get a call on my cellphone that I knw is going to last a while and I'm at work or in a store I always go outside. That's what I don;t like about this device. It makes people who already inconsiderate a license to be even MORE inconsiderate.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

I see how important it is when you're in the car I'd rather see that than someone holding a phone up to their ear. I also think that some people think it's some kind've status symbol...oooh look I got the latest toy and you don't. Same goes with the Iphone.....It all comes down to this in a few years there will be some guy selling these off in a flea market because everyone has moved on to the next thing.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

I'm still resisting the cell phone thing. I just don't have a need to talk to people 24/7. I might break down if my 96 Ranger starts acting up, since I don't feel like walking back to the house. Mrs. TBolt does have one for safety reasons, but never uses it.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I will NEVER own a digital leash... er.... cell phone. If I'm not near a phone I probably don't WANT anyone talking to me. And unless you live in the outback, safety isn't a real benefit either. There's always a phone booth, or house, or store, or some jerk with a cell within a block.

Closest I come is my music; which I have with me for the opposite reason, it's good for drowning people out.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I've had meetings with people who leave those blinking things on and it just robs them of all credibility. They look like the Borg or something. Honestly, one guy had his on and the thing lit up every five seconds, why?

I leave my cell in the car, I need it for work but I'm not that important. I'm also entirely self concious about using it in public. I once had an anniversary dinner ruined by "Mr Important" and his cell phone, I've never forgotten it.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• VintageMike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 16, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            I'm still resisting the cell phone thing. I just don't have a need to talk to people 24/7. I might break down if my 96 Ranger starts acting up, since I don't feel like walking back to the house. Mrs. TBolt does have one for safety reasons, but never uses it.
                            T-bolt, you should just get a prepaid one like I have. Like I said in a previous post I'm not a heavy cell user but it's always nice to have it for "what if". There are also certain people (such as my best friend) who I do want to be accessible to at any time. If he needs my help, I want him to be able to get in touch with me. Ditto for my parents.
                            Most people I work with wonder why I have a cell phone, since it rarely rings.
                            Because it's a help to me, if I NEED it to use it or the above mentioned reason. On the other side of the coin I've flat out refused to give the number to 99% of the people at my job. The two I've given it too have yet to use it. I beleive this would th ekey for you. As long as you are selective about who gets the number you should be OK. That's the mistake most people make. They give the number out to anyone and everyone.

Comment

• megoat
                              A Therefore Experience
                              • Jun 10, 2003

Count me as one without a cell phone. I know the day is coming when I will probably need one, but so far I've done fine without. I personally don't like the things.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎