X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

and now it's time for my pet tribute

I've always been touched when someone posts here about the passing of a pet. Now, unfortunataly, it is my turn.

A little over 15 years ago, my sister and I went to the Lollypop Farm to get a kitten.

We were trying to figure out which one to get and it came down to a couple. We were leaning towards getting one kitten but the other started to paw my fingers and do other things to get our attention so all that effort could not be unrewarded.

That attention hog got a name, Ginger.

Ginger was not a shrinking violet, she was feisty and didn't like to be held. But she was very affectionete in her own way, on her own terms. If she liked you, she loved to be petted and she loved to "park" on you.

She got into mischief too when she was young. Like when I came home one day and found her wandering around on the roof.

How did she manage that?

She squeezed through a broken window screen.

I got her down by climbing a ladder and coaxing her to come to me.

Over the years, Ginger did get pretty close to me. She would rub against me, lick me and lay near me. She would also tollerate being held by me the most although she would still complain about it.

She had good luck with her health, until about a couple years ago. She had a stubborn uriniary tract infection. Soon after we get the infection cleared up, we discovered she was going through renal (kidney) failure.

After that diagnosis, through special diet, tender loving care and a new suppliment that is supposed to support renal function we kept her going relatively well for at least a year(probabaly a year and a half). She was functioning and happy.

But this week, it all changed. We think it was partially triggered by hot weather but maybe it just was her time. She was not eating and not drinking very much and was widthdrawn.

She was already below weight because of her condition but this week had taken an additional pound off of her.

So, we had her put down.

It hasn't totally sunk in yet that she'll never be back. But I already miss her.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

I'm sorry for your loss.

I really believe that there are only two types of unconditional love.

The love you have for your own children and the love your pets have for you.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
      Stays Crunchy in Milk
      • Aug 2, 2004

Sorry to hear it.

I never knew I'd love having a cat, until I got married. Cleo the cat was the greatest. I also found out when I got married and we moved in together that I was allegic to cats, and it triggered my dormant athsma. My Dr. told me I had to get rid of the cat because it was killing me. My wife who loved Cleo told me I had to get rid of the cat... for 8 years they told me, and I finally gave in and we found a home for Cleo... and I've regreted it every day since then. She was 14 years old. I wished we'd kept her, and I've never stopped missing her.
      Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

That's really sad. Our 17 year old cat spent some time in the hospital this week. She seems okay, but it's going to be saaaaaaad when she finally goes.
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• txteach
          Banned
          • Jun 17, 2005

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and know how you feel. I really miss my cat milo and he died a year ago. I had him for 17 years and he was a great cat.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Hey sorry to hear of your Loss It's hard to lose a part of your Family.Been down the Road too...I had to put my 17year old cat down last year and this is the first time in my life that I do not own a pet.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I'm sorry to hear that,I hate losing a pet.They become part of the family and you feel like you love them just as much.But don't worry,she's in a better place now
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

So sorry for your loss. We just got a kitten a couple of weeks ago, mostly because my girlfriend wanted one, but they do grow on you fast
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• joshvox
                    Clown Prince of Crime
                    • Mar 21, 2006

sorry to hear that. My dog passed away on tuesday, I know how you feel.

Comment

• megocrazy
                      Museum Trouble Maker
                      • Feb 18, 2007

Sorry for your loss. We lost our dog about a year and a half ago. It was a tough time.
                      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

I am truely sorry for Your loss. And I understand...My Cat's ARE Family Member's to Me! When they go...I know I will be devastated.

This is My best Buddy Regis: http://groups.msn.com/ShawVu
                        sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                          A Ray of Sunshine
                          • Jun 17, 2001

So sorry to hear this. I went through this just a couple of years ago and I still miss my cat. Tough to go through. Some people will understand and some won't. To me it's like losing a family member.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

Love that picture, and she sounded like the perfect cat. A nice mix of sweetness, attitude, and naughtiness.

I hope you head back over to Lollypop and find another kitty to give a nice home to for the next 15 years.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

I'm sorry to hear that, Mego73. That's rough. I've lost several guniea pigs in the last 2 years. (Bandit, Moochie, Blizzard, and Oreo just a month ago.) Even though these are just class pets, they're still mine, and I still miss them.
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎