X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Anyone watch U.S. National Soccer?

I have been playing soccer since the time I was in Kindergarten and love the sport. I watch games with a passion and is the only sport I follow right behind NFL football and college basketball.

It is so frustrating to watch how bad the U.S. Men's team is against other countries and I can't believe that important games like Copa America are not being picked up by ESPN or other sports stations but would rather show Poker Championships, Pro Bowling, or Billiards....I gotta believe U.S. Soccer has more potential viewers than these events.

It was exciting to watch the U.S. National Team beat Mexico in the Gold Cup but had to watch it on Univision. One great thing about watching Soccer on a Spanish speaking station....I don't understand a bit of Spanish but love the enthusiasm the announcers have when a team is storming toward a goal and of course the outburst when a goal is scored "gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, etc" By the way does anyone who watches it in Spanish know what they are saying in English after a goal is scored....it sounds like ****** in English but it is something like Esso, Esso, Esso which my kids laugh at every time they hear it.

Last night was just ridiculous. Not only was it not broadcast on any local stations, I had to go to Univision's website to watch it over the internet only to watch Argentina stomp us 4-1...and to top it off, we seemed to be missing our best players like Landon Donovan, Demarco Beasely, etc. who went back to play for their respective club teams. I heard that other professional soccer or futball leagues will go on hiatus when important events occur like Copa America so our top players can play.

It is just frustrating that we have a sport that is the most popular youth sport in the USA but we can't field a competitive men's team. I just don't know what we need to do differently to compete and win on the world's stage.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

I just can't bring myself to watch soccer. It's tedious. If you're lucky you can get a real huge offensive game with a score of 2-1.

I might be able to handle soccer and hockey if they eliminated the goal tenders.

-sorry to be that guy that jumps in to complain about the topic
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Merlyn1976
      Fist of Khonshu
      • Mar 29, 2005

Personally I'm not much for the sport but my kids love it....Not only is it not televised but around here there aren't even any youth leagues....
      "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I am a HUGE soccer fan and have been most of my life. I've been minding the net since I was 8. I share your pain regarding the US team. It was almost better when they were no expectations, then runs like the one in '94 are just pure fun.

Well, not really. I'd rather have a good team and with that comes expectations. I wouldn't feel too bad about Copa America. The Gold Cup team was the actual US team. Hardly any of the players made the trip for Copa America. Unlike the other professional leagues, MLS plays over the summer. When most teams are free to be involved in these tournaments, American players have to head back to their respective clubs. Its really the only way to have decent games in MLS (well, decent for MLS).

As for future play, the US team has played very well leading up to the World Cup. We don't get to see most of the qualifying matches or the always exciting games against teams like Mexico (who BTW, beat Brazil 2 days ago). With lesser talented teams, the US has always played not to lose. The idea being that they can steal a game if they can keep it close. American goalies have been pretty good, so this approach made sense.

Now that the US is fielding better teams, I think the entire philosophy must change- play to win instead of playing not to lose. There was even a point where the US played a formation with one forward?!?!? That combined with American players getting more time playing with better clubs abroad(even Beasley is getting picked up by a Premiere team), will make the team better.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

I generally limit myself to the qualifying matches and the World Cup itself. I love watching the Cup, but have a hard time watching lackluster American performances with teams fielding less than the best possible lineup. I really think we need to try something different, like putting some serious money into a team that is paid to play regularly against the best teams and leagues around the world, either full time or at least part time.

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

I think once you understand the game even the 2-1 matches are very exciting as I think anyone who watched the U.S./Mexico match can attest to.

One thing I have noticed for the good is a huge transformation in youth soccer from when I was a kid. We always played 11 v 11 and they threw the bad kids back on defense and hoped for the best. I have always lived in the Washington D.C. area and soccer is pretty big around here since we are a real mixing bowl of cultures. When I grew up playing, I was probably one of the few kids whose parents were not first generation European decent and I even had a British coach and a German coach when I played Club Soccer.

Now that I coach a competitive girls team, there is finally a generation of coaches that actually played growing up and can teach the kids skills, strategy, and tactics that I never fathomed. If I go over to the local High School and watch the girls team play, my jaw drops open....they would have knocked that snot out of the High School boys team I played on because the skill set is so much more advanced.

It will be interesting to see how competitive the U.S. U-20 World Cup team is.

Although it is pure frustration to watch at this point, I do think the U.S. will win the Men's World Cup in the next 20 years. The women are already there and play some incredible ball. And if anyone thinks that women don't compare, try playing soccer against a really good female.
            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
              Stays Crunchy in Milk
              • Aug 2, 2004

I think once you understand the game even the 2-1 matches are very exciting as I think anyone who watched the U.S./Mexico match can attest to.
              That's what everyone who likes soccer and hockey says. I've watched both sports and understand that i'll never be a fan. Same goes with nascar.
              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Soccer to (most of) you guys is like football to me... I've tried watching, but I just don't understand the rules. Everytime I think I got it figured out something unexpected happens. I think socces rules are much easier than football rules and once you get it socces is very exciting to watch, even 0-0 matches
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
                  Mexico (who BTW, beat Brazil 2 days ago).
                  I know.

It's funny, but Mexico has only lost once to Brazil in seven years. USA has a current winning streak against Mexico in the States, but sadly, USA has never beaten Mexico in Mexico.

Copa America is awesome, I'm watching the tourney on UNIVISION.

Argentina seems like the heavy favorite right now.

Originally posted by Wee67
                  I wouldn't feel too bad about Copa America. The Gold Cup team was the actual US team. Hardly any of the players made the trip for Copa America. Unlike the other professional leagues, MLS plays over the summer. When most teams are free to be involved in these tournaments, American players have to head back to their respective clubs. Its really the only way to have decent games in MLS (well, decent for MLS).
                  USA is not the only team with a bunch of substitutes, practically all the teams are depleted at Copa America right now. But it really doesn't matter, the big favorites always win anyway.

Originally posted by Adam West
                  One great thing about watching Soccer on a Spanish speaking station....I don't understand a bit of Spanish but love the enthusiasm the announcers have when a team is storming toward a goal and of course the outburst when a goal is scored "gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, etc" By the way does anyone who watches it in Spanish know what they are saying in English after a goal is scored....it sounds like ****** in English but it is something like Esso, Esso, Esso which my kids laugh at every time they hear it.
                  I hate Mexican announcer Pablo Ramirez aka la Torre de Jalisco (the Jalisco tower monicker due to him being tall and from the state of Jalisco), he's the main UNIVISION play-by-play guy, and he turns my stomach, he's an idiot who calls not only every play every friggin' second without breathing, but points out the obvious, and keeps repeating it time and time again, argh, he's the most annoying dude in soccer in Spanish telecasts ever.

This is what he actually chants after a goal:

"Golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazoooooo, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooo, azoooooo, azoooo, azooo, azooo, azo, azo, azo, azo, azo, azoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

He's not saying eso, eso, eso, he's saying azo, azo, azo, it's just the end word of golazo which basically translates to great goal, and he's just emphasizing the azo for dramatic effect.

I much prefer Telemundo's Argentinian announcer Andres Cantor anyday of the week, he's a lot smarter (he know his soccer), and his chant is simpler but more effective and much less annoying:

"Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!"

These are all things us beaners have to go through in the world of soccer announcing.

Last edited by Hector; Jun 30, '07, 1:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                    I know.

It's funny, but Mexico has only lost once to Brazil in seven years. USA has a current winning streak against Mexico in the States, but sadly, USA has never beaten Mexico in Mexico.

Copa America is awesome, I'm watching the tourney on UNIVISION.

Argentina seems like the heavy favorite right now.

USA is not the only team with a bunch of substitutes, practically all the teams are depleted at Copa America right now. But it really doesn't matter, the big favorites always win anyway.

I hate Mexican announcer Pablo Ramirez aka la Torre de Jalisco (the Jalisco tower monicker due to him being tall and from the state of Jalisco), he's the main UNIVISION play-by-play guy, and he turns my stomach, he's an idiot who calls not only every play every friggin' second without breathing, but points out the obvious, and keeps repeating it time and time again, argh, he's the most annoying dude in soccer in Spanish telecasts ever.

This is what he actually chants after a goal:

"Golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazoooooo, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, gol, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooooo, golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazooooo, azoooooo, azoooo, azooo, azooo, azo, azo, azo, azo, azo, azoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

He's not saying eso, eso, eso, he's saying azo, azo, azo, it's just the end word of golazo which basically translates to great goal, and he's just emphasizing the azo for dramatic effect.

I much prefer Telemundo's Argentinian announcer Andres Cantor anyday of the week, he's a lot smarter (he know his soccer), and his chant is simpler but more effective and much less annoying:

"Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!"

These are all things us beaners have to go through in the world of soccer announcing.

I don't understand any Spanish so I really don't know what he is saying. I do like the excitement in his voice though compared to watching an English speaking announcer who usually doesn't have the passion and excitement in his/her voice.

Regarding the USA/Mexico rivalry, I believe the USA not only seems to be successful against Mexico in the States but everywhere else except Mexico...I haven't checked the stats but I think they have won 8 of the last 10 meetings. The U.S. also always uses the excuse that they have trouble in Mexico because of the high altitude of the stadium which might be partially true but I imagine the overwhelming support and passion there is intimidating.

My cable station has Univision but not Telefutura or Fox Sports Channel. I was able to watch the U.S. -Argentina game on Univision's internet site and it looks like that's what I'll be doing in tonights game against Paraguay.

I did see Mexico pound Brazil and it looked like complete domination. It looks like they took care of Ecuador in pretty short order as well although I didn't see the game.

Although there is a big U.S./Mexico rivalry in soccer and I'm passionate about the U.S. team, I do always route for Mexico in World Cup play as long as they're not playing the U.S. After that, I usually will route for Germany or England since that is where my ancestors are from and from there it's usually the Underdog. I was happy to see Italy beat France in the last World Cup.
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎